Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
stobeh Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Hi.
I installed the new mIRC v6.17 12 hours ago and since that, I've been struggling with extremely slow scrolling of buffer of all channels.

I Would just like to know if I'm the only one fighting with this problem.
It's annoying to read and scroll buffer/backlog because it is so slow frown.
Thank you for your replies.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I've got no problem scrolling in any channels I'm in.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Same.

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
This may not be an mIRC issue but rather a local system issue.
The weaker the specs are of your system the longer/slower scrolling is. I have found this out between flooding my own window on this annoying 10yr old system, and my new rig. On my older machine it takes longer and extremely slow to scroll, obviously on my new rig I experience no annoying slow scroll. I Forget the correct terms, buffer, loading, drawing of the words and text due to CRTL+K,B,etc. :|

I'm sure someone else with better definitions and termonology could summerize that entire paragraph into one sentence. :tongue:

Live to Dream & Dream for Life
N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
I just installed the new version and the first thing I noticed was how slowly new windows open and how slow switching between them is. I can also confirm the noticeably slower scrolling in buffers.

I do use a not so powerful computer, but the difference with v6.16 is huge.

For example, when I clicked a channel button on the switchbar in v6.16, the response came immediately (switchbar button selected, channel visible ...). Now the channel window appears first, then I see the nicklist refreshing (it flashes a bit) and finally the switchbar button gets selected. This takes about a second. Especially the delay between the "nicklist refresh" and the selection of the switchbar button is noticeable.

I tried turning off UTF-8 display, but it makes no difference.

Last edited by NeoN; 19/02/06 12:55 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I also noticed this ... it seems to be fine now tho ...

Last edited by Jigsy; 19/02/06 12:58 AM.

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Interesting, definitely something that should be investigated smile

Please supply your OS and computer specifications for Khaled to have a look at.

Personally, I'm on XP home (sp2), 160gb, 256mb ram/3ghz, and have no problems in scrolling, despite having maximum buffer specified in mIRC options. As usual, please make sure this happens in a fresh install of mIRC to make sure that it isn't the result of a third party script.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
I'm using w2k on a p3 667mhz with 256 mb ram. Tested on a fresh install.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
No scrolling problems here, WinXP Pro, 2GHz 768MB.

-genius_at_work

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
No problems with WinXP - p4 570J - 2gb ram
Slow with WinXP - Athlon 64 - 1gb ram

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Tested it with a 500 MHz computer earlier. It is indeed slower than 6.16, but still not annoyingly slow. Not blaming anyone, though; it must be the price of UTF-8 support.

S
stobeh Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
This could have something to do with AMD Athlon 64 processors. Someone replied that he had this problem and he also had A64.
My system/OS specs:
WinXP prof.
Amd athlon64, 1024MB of ram, ~800GB of HDD, nvidia 6800LE...

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I had the same problem in my windows (), the problem was solved by use a virus scanner, it found a virus, after that the problem was gone. so make shure you dont have any viruses that can cose this problem.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
All the slowness I experienced yesterday has disappeared somehow. I can't reproduce the slow window opening and switching and slow scrolling anymore.

I didn't change anything to my configuration: no changed mirc options, no software or hardware changes. All I did was shutdown my pc, go to sleep and restart it. I would be very surprised if a cold start would have been the solution for these problems.

I'm sure it wasn't my system as a whole that was slow yesterday, since everything else behaved as usual. Even when switching between v6.16 and v6.17 to test, it was only v6.17 that had the slowness.

Really puzzled now...

J
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
J
I, too, have had this problem after upgrading to 6.17.
Athlon 1800+ @ 1.53ghz, 512mb ram, Win XP Pro SP2, both fresh install with default settings and 6.16 .ini settings (copied 6.16's perform, remote, etc .ini's over to 6.17's directory).

Same "slowness" others describe when switching between windows or scrolling through buffer. With 6.16, I could hold down ctrl+tab and it would go through the windows almost instantly; with 6.17, though, there is a considerable amount of lag. I've also noticed when switching windows fast or scrolling through buffer, CPU usage spikes and remains at 100% until I stop. When the mIRC window is maximized and has either a channel or status windows up (with all of those channel or status windows 'minimized' in mIRC, this does not occur), dragging another window over the mIRC window causes 100% CPU usage as well.

Nevertheless, great program. Hope that was enough info!

[EDIT] I forgot to add, this is with my anti-virus disabled and with no virus/spyware on the system.

Last edited by Joshua22885; 19/02/06 02:17 PM.
C
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
C
i have the same problems mad
but when i make mirc smaller then full size window problem gone

i use amd 64bit 3400+ 2gb ram
screen resolution 1920x1440 32bit
please fixx that problem grin :tongue:

C
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
C
Same problem here too. Tried copying over my ini files from the previous mIRC install (that i luckily didnt copy over) to no avail.

Its not a virus, and mIRC 6.16 works perfectly.

Good luck on the bughunt.

Last edited by CantThinkOfAName; 22/02/06 06:25 AM.
A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
Interesting 498mhz Celeron 255 megs ram, running Norton, 64mg ram GeForce4 MX420, I have a window with over 10,000 lines in it, clients connecting and disconnecting from my irc network, and I notice no slow downs while scrolling.

J
J
I just uninstalled and reinstall 6.17, and I got the same results.

I don't think I mentioned in my first post that I'm running a dual display setup with mIRC maximized on the second display -- if it matters.

Good luck!

B
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
B
Quote:
I don't think I mentioned in my first post that I'm running a dual display setup with mIRC maximized on the second display -- if it matters.

It matters!!! I have two monitors too, and when the desktop is extended to the second monitor, scrolling is extremely slow even on the first one (mirc 6.17, athlon 2800+, geforce 4, nvidia whql drivers 84.21). As soon as I deactivate desktop-extending (or what-ever the term for that in english is), scrolling is as its supposed to be. Please, mirc-developpers, fix this one in the upcoming release.

bers

Last edited by bers; 20/06/06 08:36 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard