mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Sat Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
First of all, it's absolutely great to have a new mIRC version! As many substantial things have been added/changed, of course it can be expected a number of new bugs have been introduced as well. This is, I believe, one of them.

In mIRC 6.16 and before, one would only be able to start marking text by initially clicking (+holding) the left mouse button on a part of the window that actually contained a text character under the mouse cursor. The new mIRC 6.17 changes this behaviour, by also letting the text marking start by clicking on areas of the text windows that do not contain text. The actual text marking then starts on the far right of the text on the left of this position. I assume that this was changed to make it easier to copy whole lines at once [1].

However, this feature currently does not work for at least:
- lines that contain any control code [2];
- lines that are wrapped.

So much for the bug report - however, I'd like to add the following: due to this new feature (and despite the fact that it's not fully functional), I am now constantly losing the contents of my clipboard by accidentally selecting lines of text. This is due to the fact that among other things, I am used to
activating mIRC by clicking on unused text area, and simply clicking randomly on unused text areas as well. These are very, very old habits.

Therefore I would really, REALLY like to request that this feature be made optional, simply because I find it incompatible with the way I am using mIRC. I realize that I'm not putting up much of a defense here, I can only hope that many more people will agree with me at this point.

[1] And thus, that this is a feature at all. It is not mentioned explicitly in versions.txt though..
[2] This includes part/kick/quit/topic/etc messages, which contain a ^O character.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
Another annoying "feature" in the new text marking behaviour is that it inverts the text color. The background color is black for selected areas, which means that if you select white text it'll be shown as black text on a black background.

One way to fix this would be to invert the background too, but I don't think this is a good idea either, as I use text selection to get a better contrast when the other users have used colors that are too close to my background color to be readable.

Last edited by njursten; 18/02/06 01:52 AM.
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
I use text selection to quickly reveal those silly hidden messages (like channel spam) that have the same background and text colour. This is now impossible. Inverse colour looks a bit more interesting but I agree it may not be as practical.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
I personally find the inverted colors to be annoying, because I have to copy/paste elsewhere to read any messages that are the same color as my background.

I suppose everyone could write a quick walk-around for it, or just strip all colors entirely. But I would like to see this annoying 'bug' fixed soon.

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Just noticed... I agree about both of these things. Specifically, try selecting outside of long lines and then try a short line. The behavior is inconsistent. The old way was fine.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I have to agree on the color reversing on highlite is a problem.
In fact I see No Point to this "feature"
While it has not been a huge problem, its been of no benefit at all.
-

{EDIT} So far the testing I have done to replicate the clipboard problem was only that if I moved the mouse while clicking any area. Blank or not. just clicking to select the window did not clear/replace the contents of the clipboard.

Last edited by MikeChat; 18/02/06 06:59 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'll be updating the text marking/display routine so that it behaves as closely as possible to the previous versions, however it may not be exactly the same due to the way the new display routine needs to work to handle UTF-8 I'm afraid.

Sat Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Very much appreciated, thanks!

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
O
Babel fish
Babel fish
O
When can we expect updated version? or is there a patch available?

Link Copied to Clipboard