mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
DJmart Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
my laptop has such restrictions that, it will not allow any sort of .exe if its not a program that is allowed to run, If I rename mirc.exe to notepad.exe for instance, IRC will just blink, and do nothing after. Any alternatives or ideas?

M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
What kind of software (if any) is imposing those restrictions on "external" sofware? Can you configure those restrictions?

Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
D
DJmart Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Its just "restrictions" with Win XP Tablet edition, I cant configure anything.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
i could be wrong, but i think this is becuase, only EXE's built for the tablet can run on the tablet.

U
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
U
Not sure from which version, but mIRC refuses to run if it's named something other than mirc.exe, probably because there are a lot of trojans out there trying to use a hidden mirc instance with a script.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to use that Tablet thingy and try to put something usable on that laptop instead, if it is at all possible.

Anyways it sounds like simple path based software restriction rules, which can be edited in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy, under Software Restriction Policies on a regular Windows XP.

In case you don't have such, you could also try looking into the registry, for me these restrictions are stored under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers
Just make sure you don't change anything you do not understand and don't know how you could restore later.

Link Copied to Clipboard