#138518 02/01/06 03:06 AM
S
Sully Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
Hey,

I think mIRC is a little bit behind in services for both Channel OPs and Server IRCops. Now, perhaps its supposed to be very simple and basic, so forgive me if so.

If not, then I think the following needs to be added: Ability for mIRC to give someone the appropriate status in the channel; Op, Halfop, +a and +q (cant think of the modes name).

Also, I dislike the kick ban. I feel I should enter the message, click enter and THEN the ban is issued and the user is kicked. Also, an option to "slience" ban a user is also needed.

What ya think? I just feel mIRC is lacking a bit for channel-ops, and its pretty tough to get a decent script to make life easier!

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Most of what you mentioned can be done very easily with a little scripting.

For example about the kick then ban:
Code:
.raw kick $$1 $?="Reason please" $+ $crlf $+ mode # +b $address($1,3)
Simple explanation: This will send the commands at the same time to the server, so there is no lag time the target user can take advantage of to come back before the ban is placed.

The modes can be easily added, press ALT+R, go to the popups tab, select the proper location from the View menu (should be channel), and follow the format. If you can't figure it out, it is well explained in the help file, and I am sure almost any mIRC help channel would be able to help.

If you want me to personally help you, you may find me on the server in my signiture.

mIRC 6.21 - Win XP Pro (SP2) - 2.4 Ghz - 1 GB Mem
irc.x-tab.org
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Ability to give someone appropriate status? See /help /mode. mIRC is far far from lacking in making channel op's lives easier, and there are plenty of scripts out there which add all kinds of auto-protection.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
Quote:
This will send the commands at the same time to the server, so there is no lag time the target user can take advantage of to come back before the ban is placed.

I can't speak for all IRC Servers on this one.
But at least with IRCu and probably many many others (if not all), will read messages from a client into a received queue.
Then parse them when it gets the chance. It may or may not parse the two messages right next to each other, it may parse a join from the kicked client between the two, (perhaps via another server).

If the server is throttling your messages then it may just parse one line every two seconds or so. Which is more than enough time to let the kicked client back in the channel before the ban is set.

Just thought I'd point that out.

I've seen people rely on that so many times and wonder why it breaks.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Why not just ban the person first? Then there would be no way for the person to rejoin due to lag.

-genius_at_work

T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
For the first part, mIRC is not responsible for handing out modes in your channel. Its not a channel service. Enough said.

Again, the second one about the kickban is the same, the fact is you send the command to the server and its not the clients choice in which order they occur in. Silence ban? If by that you mean just ban the user without the kick, again, thats server related.

mIRC is a client that allows you to use all the features of the standard IRC protocol with ease. It does not run channels or networks out of the box, thats why they gave you scripting.

H
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
H
Quote:
Also, an option to "slience" ban a user is also needed

confused How do you expect mIRC to be able to do that? That would have to be a feature made to the IRCd, or the IRC protocol all together. The closest thing you can get to a "silent ban" is IRCx's /access command. Which if my memory serves me right, works like this...

/access add #chan deny <mask>

This would not be announced to the channel. But remember, its only on IRCx, which is few and far between.

-- HAMM3R (aka: alhammer)
http://www.HAMM3R.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
the problem with these suggestions is that not all servers implement the same things... and if they do implement it, it doesn't have to be in the same way.

since mIRC should work on most of the IRCd's out there they should stick to the RFC defined things, and leave the rest to external scripts and the likes

(PS: silencing can be done at some IRCd's by the IRC-Oper command /zombie or /mode +x on a user...)

Last edited by Doqnach; 03/01/06 04:33 PM.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
Quote:
Why not just ban the person first? Then there would be no way for the person to rejoin due to lag.

I wondered that too, hence all my comments about it.

Link Copied to Clipboard