Print Thread
T
tontito Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
hello,
i don't mean to be rude or something, but isn't it time for a new release? smile

cheers and thanks,
tontito

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
We have had several posts regarding this, it will be time for a new release when Khaled has the time.. smile

-Andy

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
i wouldn't mind to wait 2 more years for new version...
since i persume that Khaled made quite stable mirc version
with 6.16, so he took time for himself now...
and it will be enought time for him to complete his
mission and then to resume with mirc development.

IceCapped
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I wouldn't call a version that is open to exploits, has a couple of memory leaks and even GPFs stable, but maybe that's just me.

K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
Just curious now, are there any real (and abused?) exploits in mIRC v6.16? The "to gain ops type this //$decode..." doesn't count, neither does $eval($1-,2) or related (/timer,/scon,....) I'm not on any of the big irc networks, so I really haven't seen any exploits around besides $decode spam and url's to programs disguised as images.

Yes, there are still bugs in it (recursion depth gpf bug to name one) but it's a complete scripting language, other complex programs that release stable versions also have bugs and even exploits. If you require bugfree code to call a program stable, there is no stable software out there.

mIRC has been the most stable program I've used over the years. Ofcourse I don't ruin it with loads of dll's written to crash your pc or eat up memory. A simple ftp client uses almost twice as much memory just after opening without connecting to anywhere as mIRc uses after a week being on multiple servers. Yeah you can't compare it etc, but I'm not complaining at a program that uses 5meg while thunderbird uses 28meg, and you can't even chat with it!

ps: sorry if I spoiled the Christmas spirit with this rant crazy

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Quote:
Just curious now, are there any real (and abused?) exploits in mIRC v6.16?

Yes. It's related to the auto join on invite option. There's a discussion about it on mircscripts.org here, as well as an addon to fix the bug.

The bug was discovered a few months back (around June) by some of the ops in #mIRC on Undernet as far as I know (that's when I first heard about it, anyway), but it has been fairly widespread for a few months.

Quote:
If you require bugfree code to call a program stable, there is no stable software out there.

I don't ask for bugfree code because, afterall, Khaled's only human, but I don't think it's too much to ask that an exploit be fixed.

Quote:
mIRC has been the most stable program I've used over the years.

Notepad for me smirk

Quote:
A simple ftp client uses almost twice as much memory just after opening without connecting to anywhere as mIRC uses after a week being on multiple servers.

Tell me the same thing again after you've done a lot of copying (hilighting text) throughout the time that mIRC's open.

T
tontito Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
Ok thanks for the info m8

frown

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Is mIRC actually still being developed? It's been a year and a half...

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I would say mIRC hasn't stopped being further developed. The only reason it has been over a year and a half is Khaled is working on earning his [url=http://www.mirc.com/khaled/about.html]Masters Degreeurl]. And as we all know, mIRC updates are released whenever Khaled decides it is ready. Patience young grasshopper smile

M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
mIRC pwns how it is, but whenever there is a new release.. I'm sure that will be awesome too.

Check out http://kalsiddon.com for games, videos & more! Good for when your bored in work or school!
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
People tend to forget that mIRC is not free software. No, it's not good enough as it is, and no, it's not fair that we have to wait over a year for the bugs to be fixed.

In my opinion, selling software that is almost a year and a half old at the same price it was released at, or making people wait that long for a new version is something insulting.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What you are talking about here is software that costs the same as couple of packets of smokes and the licence lasts forever. What more do you want?... Blood? :tongue:

mIRC, in its current guise is safe, secure, feature-packed and trustworthy. What other requirements are there? The other thing to remember is that mIRC has been available publicly for 10 years, give or take a day or two, and for one person to provide support for that long is worthy of a little more respect.

Link Copied to Clipboard