Print Thread
#135881 18/11/05 08:14 PM
D
Drifter Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
mIRC allows for the use of 16 colors for a little extra effect then what you would get off basic chat. Theyve even gone far enough to let us determine on our own what color scheme we want, and to define colors 0-15 by RGB value. The problem with this is, if i made a custom layout and someone sent me one of the color codes, mirc just sends that its "color 4" which on one screen could be a perfect red, and on another something else. I suggest that we do away with the dinky little "0-15" window and allow a standard windows color pick window. this way mirc users can fully customize thier mirc, and send text in any color they wish.... and it needs to send the rgb value ou instead of "color 1".... that way things wont get confusing when people have different color settings.

#135882 18/11/05 09:00 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I don't mind more colors, but if something were done like this, then Ctrl-K 0-15 will have to be left as-is, or it will ruin all current scripts that use colors. Maybe some other Ctrl code to do the RGB and leave Ctrl-K for the normal 0-15.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#135883 18/11/05 10:23 PM
D
Drifter Offline OP
OP Offline
D
a very valid point, i dont wish anyone to have to reissue a script due to a new format.... so yeah, some type of new command combo that brings up a standard color picker dialog then. thanks for the input! grin

#135884 18/11/05 11:06 PM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Ctrl+K could still be used. Just have some way of distinguishing the type of color that is specified. Something like #RRGGBB or &LLAABB, etc.. A different identifier for each type of color format that will be used. Of course the identifier would have to be something that doesn't already do something else (in my examples, # returns the channel name). If no identifier were specified, the standard 0-15 colors would be assumed, which would allow backwards compatability.

-genius_at_work

#135885 21/11/05 06:13 AM
D
Drifter Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Quote:
......Something like #RRGGBB or &LLAABB, etc.. A different identifier for each type of color format that will be used.......

great idea, although i admit im not familiar with the LLAABB format.... your setup seems pretty fair to me. it allows backwards compatibility and also sets up a hex option, pretty sweet! and this could be implemented to allow the standard color picker in mirc when you hit ctrl +K, and hopefully then it would be allowed too for mIRC color schemes. you are a genius at work :tongue:

#135886 21/11/05 02:28 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
i hate to think how it will look on old mirc's and clients not supporting it. That said i dont think that should be in the way of any future feature though i personaly think that this is just over kill to have 16 characters to colorize 2 (#000000a#ffffffb), its just overkill within the limits that IRC and mIRC currently have (line too long errors and the likes).

$maybe
#135887 06/12/05 04:57 AM
B
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
B
Interesting idea but it probably has been thought about and rejected for many years.

I feel there is very little need for even the 16 colors of text we already have. This is a text based chat client. IRC in general is raw text with no formatting. There is no legitimate reason to be able to send colored text. I would rather see italics added, if anything.

Link Copied to Clipboard