mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
C
I am really confused about why im getting files @ 50-60kbs with an 8 meg adsl broadband connection.

My brother who lives in the next room has a 1mg cable modem connection, when he downloads the same files, he gets them @ 100 kbs or more.

Anyone know what is happening here? i mean we'r in the same house and i am SUposed to have a faster connection, but it just dosnt seem to show when i use mirc.

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
He has probably fowarded DCC ports to his machine. You should do the same.

Select a small range such as 2070 to 2075 and have them forwarded to you.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Prey tell what does forwarding ports have to do with getting files?.

I would say the morel likely cause is his ADSL doesnt really go as fast as they say, ie: its 8mbps when and only when accessing websites. Then again there could be any number of reasons its not going at full speed.

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
It can be a problem with your ISP (If you are not using the same ISP for example).

Another idea that I have is that your MTU is not optimized.
MTU = Maximum Transfer Unit. which is the maximum size of a data packet that windows can send.
I had a situation that the MTU wasn't in its best and it slowed down my internet.

Search for some internet tweaking tools that optimize the MTU, and see if they manage to solve the problem.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Of course, DCC is really a bad way to download... it's usually going to be much slower than you would get through almost any other protocol.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard