mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
I think it would probably save a lot of people's asses having mIRC automatically scan for viruses upon completed dcc download. Not only would I like to see this option added to satiate my laziness and hatred of having to manually scan, but most people bother to buy antivirus software but dont set it up properly to protect their systems... Maybe this could be a major step in stopping all the trojan transfers etc. to the ignorant masses (in no means is that meant in an offensive way)

K
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
K
Yeah, that would be cool smirk

smirk Mr.Newb smirk
A.K.A Kazz
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Non-scripted solution:
  1. Alt-O (or File / Options)
  2. DCC
  3. Folders
  4. Edit button (for each item in the combo above it - so repeat the following steps for each)
  5. Click on the "And then Open them with this application" button
  6. Paste "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NAVW32.EXE" into the File Name: editbox
  7. Click Open
  8. Click OK
  9. Select the next item in the dropdown combo (DCC Get Folders:) and repeat steps 4 through 8.
  10. When all the items are done, click the OK button one last time to save your changes.
Scripted solution:
Code:

on *:FILERCVD:*.*: run "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NAVW32.EXE" $filename

Obviously, you will need to alter the path\to\filename for the AV system you use. The above examples use Norton AntiVirus using its default location.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Yeah that would be a good option to add, but perhaps if it worked like WinZips feature, in that you can choose whatever virus scanner you have installed, i myself use AVG, and have WinZip setup to virus scan whenever i download, i also made a scripted version, that checked recieved files using the DCC.

There are a number of programs that have an option to choose your scanner, WinZip being one of them, i think WinRAR too
Oh yeah and not forgetting GetRight or similar download managment type programs, i think Nero burning rom, also has this feature too, so that you dont accidently write a virus to a cd, umm anything else ? grin :tongue:

Note to Hammer:
(Not that i was plugging any of those programs, but i do use them myself, and hate viri)

ShadowDemon

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
It's possible to do it that way, but 99% of the time, the people who are smart enough and are willing to spend the time to do all that aren't the ones who are gonna download "superfuncoolgame.exe" anyway. Meaning the people who take the time to do all that are only gonna download trusted files anyway. Having it auto setup (like in say AIM) would make it much more protective because it will scan whether you know how to configure all the stuff or not.

A
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
A
But doesn't NAV (newer versions though) scan all network traffic all the time?

Link Copied to Clipboard