Print Thread
#131541 01/10/05 10:22 AM
R
Rand Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
I think it would be nice to see some sort of "Append to log" feature. Sort of like the Timestamp box. Lately, when going through logs, I find myself wishing that the date was displayed, in front of the log.

Now, I know I could probably do this manually, by using the timestamp box for the date, keeping the "timestamp logs" box checked, and then on *all* of my text/notice events, use echo # $timestamp stuff, instead of using echo -t # stuff. Just so that the timestamp box wouldn't show in the echo's, while still appending them into the logs. However, there is multiple reasons I prefer to *not* do this. I really like being able to use -t to display the timestamps.

With that said, I think it'd be nice to see a "append to log" box, that acts like the timestamp box, except it's exclusively for appending information to the beginning of each logging event. (Date, Address, etc).

ie:
Timestamp Box: [ (hh:nn.ss) ]
Append To Log Box: [ $adate ]
Message inside of mIRC: (05:18.54) (Angreal): Hey!@
Logged Message: 10/01/2005 (05:18.54) (Angreal): Hey!@

I used the search function, but didn't really see anything that matched exactly the same thing that I'm suggesting. Sorry if someone has already suggested this.

#131542 01/10/05 10:28 AM
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Nice idea. I'd use it.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
#131543 02/10/05 04:45 AM
S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
at the begining and end of each session with a loged window, and at the end and start of each day, mirc changes the date in a log

EX:
Code:

.:11·48·18:. * Disconnected
Session Close: Sun Mar 13 11:48:21 2005

Session Start: Sun Mar 13 11:48:53 2005
Session Ident: #sd
[%] Now talking in [#sd]

Code:

.:23·53·40:. ChanServ sets mode: +o FullBorg
Session Time: Sun Oct 02 00:00:00 2005
.:00·41·55:. «@[SD]» blah blah blah to geneerate some text

#131544 02/10/05 09:39 AM
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
at the begining and end of each session with a loged window, and at the end and start of each day, mirc changes the date in a log

..which is quite useless if you're using a utility like grep or findstr to find lines containing certain text.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
#131545 02/10/05 10:13 AM
R
Rand Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
Bingo. This is the exact reason I wanted this function.

<3 Grep.

For manually browsing, the "Session Time" thing is fine, however, when grepping, it's nice to be able to tell when something happend, without having to dig through the file and scroll upwards to find the actual date. Or without having to use the -U/B/A functions in grep.

I could also choose to create a new log file per day, but this seems more of an annoyance to me.

#131546 02/10/05 12:34 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I think perhapse a 'custom log format' option would be better than just an append. This could introduce an accompanying identifier to refer to the logline in its un customised format. for example

Message to chan: (05:18.54) (Angreal): Hey!@

Custom log line setting: $adate $logline
Messege logged: 10/01/2005 (05:18.54) (Angreal): Hey!@
Custom log line setting: $adate $asctime(hhnn) $logline.nots
Messege logged: 10/01/2005 0518 (Angreal): Hey!@
Custom log line setting: $adate $timestamp $logline.nots
Messege logged: 10/01/2005 (05:18.54) (Angreal): Hey!@

The point of the .nots (NO TimeStamp) property is to represent the standard logline (as it would usually be logged and seen in windows) without the timestamp. I think something along these lines would be much better for general use by others than just an append to. It should allow the use of global identifiers such as $atime $asctime $timestamp and so on. Obviously while using a custom log format it would be wise to have the timestamp logs option turned off.

Just a quick thought, im sure somebody would come up with a better solution than $logline[.nots] for refering to the line that would usually be logged, it was just used to explain the idea.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
#131547 03/10/05 03:22 AM
R
Rand Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
That's an idea, pretty much what I wanted.

Personally, that'd be something I'd like. Though, I'd want numerous options like this. Specifically for messages.

If it was possible to add both a "Logging Format" box, as Om3n mentioned, along with either a seperate dialog or a section within the options dialog, to control the display of mIRC events (channel messages, priv messages, kick messages, etc).

This isn't actually necessary either, however, it would clean up a lot of scripting. Which would also make mIRC a little more visually customizeable for newbies. (ie: in the options dialog, a seperate "Visuals" area, which would allow you to customize: "Input: $timestamp $+(<,$nick,>) $1-"

I dunno, having mIRC handle these things (log formatting, event formatting), rather than scripting them, seems much more efficient.

Link Copied to Clipboard