mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Squee Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Sorry if this question was answered. I searched for it but did not get anything I was looking for.

I was wondering if there is any way to set a password up for exiting mIRC. So if I'm away from my computer and someone wants to close it, it pops up a need for a password.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
i dont think such thing exist...
and if it does, no point of using it since you can KILL mirc.exe in task manager

IceCapped
S
Squee Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
True, but the people I share are not THAT computer literate to figure that out.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Not exactly what you were asking for, but it might do.
From the mIRC help file
Quote:
Lock

The Lock dialog allows you to lock various features in mIRC.

Ask for Password
If this is turned on and you have set a password by using the Lock button, mIRC will ask you for a password each time it is run.

The Lock Button
This allows you to set a password which locks the options in the lock dialog.

Note: If you hold down the Control key when you minimize mIRC, it will ask you for the password when you try to open the mIRC window later. If you use Control+Minimize with no password set, mIRC will ask you for a temporary password.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You might want to look into seeing if there is a DLL that will remove the [X] from the top right of the screen, and use an alias like..

Code:
alias exit {
  if ($input(User Input:,e,Type in your password.) && $! === $readini(test.ini,exit,password)) { 
    ;do stuff 
    ;exit
  }
  else { ;exit }
}

And to set a password /writeini test.ini exit password <Some Pass> it is also case sensitive. It seems to work find but again thats only if they type /exit, not including the clicking of the [X] as I mentioned earlier.

-Andy

S
Squee Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Awesome, I'll totally be using both of those suggestions, but I wonder if there is any way to disable right clicking the mIRC icon when it's minimized.
Hmm... I never realized how anal I was about people screwing with my mIRC. I'm supposing I should put this in the suggestion area sooner or later.

But thanks again for the suggestions grin

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Another suggestion, that I just thought of, although considering the hour (3:50 am), I don't guarantee this will make much sense. If you're using Windows XP, create separate user accounts for each person, and require a password to sign in to the user account. When you go off the computer, simply to a Switch Users (Window Key + L) to bring up the log in screen for a different user. That way your running programs will keep running while they use the computer under their account, and they can't touch your programs, because they are locked under your account.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The one thing to keep in mind when changing users is that Windows XP doesn't like to allow multiple users to be connected at the same time (unless they've changed it... I haven't looked into it in a couple years now). There is/was a fix for this that allowed multiple users to be online at the same time.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I guess they must've fixed that, since I'm using Windows XP in a small network in the apartment building that I'm in and my nephew sometimes logs in to the internet on my system, using his user profile, and my connections stay just fine. I run Trillian and 4 IRC bots 24/7, so if there was a problem with the connection to the internet when he logged on with his profile, I would've noticed it next time I went to switch users to my account.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
thats exactly what he needs

when he leaves the machine, have set a password already, and simply ctrl key down and minimize to tray

it asks for password to exit or get back in

sure ya can still task kill, but you dont do one of them by accident.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That is good to know. I don't think I've checked into it since pre-SP1 as I never have a need to log off. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard