mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#130844 22/09/05 09:46 PM
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Hello,

I have somesuggestions about the Notify list....

The first is to add user groups like in yahoo and icq.... this is good for many people who have many people in their notify lists and it's hard to find who you are looking for....

The secont suggestion refers to the first one.... the notify groups to support something like their own icons.... for example for girlfriend u can use a heart icon.... and there to be an checbox somewhere in options which allow u to choose if you want to show the icons in the swichbar (for example a person with nick YgId0rP is in my notify list in group "Friends" .... i have a query with him and the query doesnt use the standart query icon but the icon of the notify group)

The third suggestion is about the control of the notify list... it could be more dinamic.... in the notify window in the popups there could be add/edit/del without haveing to open the options window...

The forth...... to make a checkbox "Query on online" or something like this.... when the user is online automaticly to open a query window with him.....

An option to hide the offline notifys in notify window....

The Nth suggestion... to make a multinickname notify.... for example.... my best friend uses 3 or 4 nicks.... and i have to add all of them in diferent entries.... but.... why dont u make an option in the notify which allow to add secondry nicknames for diferent entries........ i cant explain this clearly but..... there are examples... smile .... In add dialog I add an entry called "My classmade Alex" .... I add it in group "classmades" .... and specify 4 nicknames for him..... "alex_the_dude" , "Ra\/eR" , "I-am-away" and "Just-me" .... when I add this entry the notify list checks the 4 nicknames.. but in notify window it shows something like
Quote:

IRC.NETWORK.NET
My classmade Alex | Just-me | Some notes...... | Classmades |
Classmades
----My classmade Alex
---------alex_the_dude
---------Ra\/eR
---------I-am-away
---------Just-me

These are the 2 possibilitys ....... If the user is online display something like this... if not.... the notify tree.... smile

I hope my ideas will be hear ..... and i hope i'll see some of them realized in next versions of mIRC

Respect !!!

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Quote:
The first is to add user groups like in yahoo and icq.... this is good for many people who have many people in their notify lists and it's hard to find who you are looking for....

You might want to clarify this a bit. While Ive used both of these for years, Im not sure what you mean by "more like ICQ/Yahoo"

Quote:
The secont suggestion refers to the first one.... the notify groups to support something like their own icons.... for example for girlfriend u can use a heart icon

IF emoticons get added to mirc (and I cant say one way or another), it would be a nice addition. (For those of us who have been here forever, you'll note I did not state my POV on this)

Quote:
in the notify window in the popups there could be add/edit/del without haveing to open the options window

I like this option

Quote:
The forth...... to make a checkbox "Query on online" or something like this.... when the user is online automaticly to open a query window with him

PERSONALLY I wouldnt use this option, but Im not necessarily against it - just not sure

Quote:
An option to hide the offline notifys in notify window

It's already there. Right click in the Notify List window and UNcheck "Show All"

Quote:
The Nth suggestion... to make a multinickname notify.... for example.... my best friend uses 3 or 4 nicks

I do NOT like this idea. I understand how some people use many nicknames, but why not jsut add them all that you want? I KNOW it can fill up the list, but it wouldnt change things much

The big thing I (and others here) would love to see is server based notify list options where you can specify which network the nick should be on the notify list and ONLY show up on that network. Now, if by your firwst suggestion you were thinking along these lines, forgive me, it just wasnt clear to me. If you WERE tlaking about that, then yes, I agree with you it should be added

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I think the 'groups' suggestion was refering to something similar to the 'folder' option in channel favorites.

I would also like to be able to set server specific notify entries, since mirc 6.x introduced multi server support this is now the logical next step for the notify list, something much the same as the 'network' pull down list for channel favorites should work fine.

Also, if such feature improvements are introduced, the accumpanying properties to the $notify identifier would be nice.

Dont see much need for a 'query on online' option at all, this is VERY easily scriptable already.

on 1:NOTIFY: if ($nick == BestFriend || $nick == anothernicktoquery) /query $nick hi!

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
landonsandor The first idea which u didnt understand is almost shown in the example.... You have the group Classmades and the group Friends.... this is just to make the notify list more tidy smile

Quote:

IRC.NETWORK.NET
Anybody-else | Friends | notes...
Classmades
----My classmade Alex
----Anybody-else
----and-some-more
Friends
----Till-Linderman
---- one-more
---- and-sb-other

And one more idea..... to make a tab which shows the time user connected.... just to have this option...

And... the list to support 2 colors.... first this not sounds clearly but..... for example u have 7 lines of notify list.... but very long notes ..... and........ u mess with a lot text.....and why the notify dont have own color settings.....
it can be something like
First line in one color
The second with other
The third line with the first colour
The the forth with the second....

And some more explanation about the query on conect function.... the idea is not when a user comes online to says him hi or something like this... this is to specify maybe 3 or 4 people of the whole notify list (20-30 people) and when they are online to open the query window and to make it flash..... yes i know it's easy to script it... but 97% of my friends havent even thing about trying to write 1-2 lines script.... u see in this forum every day there are scores of people who ask questions about 'how to write 3-4 lines..' or 'how to make them work' .... 4 u ... 4 me and for the people in the forum it's not a problem to write this... but .... think about the others... smile it'll be useful for many people.....

Respect !!!

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
So write the script and share it with yours friends. you dont need to specify a text part when opening a query that was just an example of just how simple it is, and why such an option is unlikely to be built into mirc itself. in my experience things that can be scripted so easily and are probably useful to only a small amount of users dont get implemented.

Maybe if you explain why this is of any use to people another solution could be provided. From what you have said the only thing that comes from this is an open query that flashes, so is this JUST some kind of indicator? Check the 'options' for the notify list, you can set it to show in active or you can use the on notify/unnotify to pop up a window or little dialog msgbox or something.

The more i think about it, the less useful and pointless coding something like this into mirc itself seems.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Well.... the main idea....
1st... There are people like friends e t c .... which u chat with every time when u r connected to irc.... it's easyer to query automaticly ......
2nd... Some of these people dont have an common chanel with u or dont join any channels.... and you have to type /q or /query their nick's.... but..... for example one of my last nick was [26-17]^1|2-1|2 .... dont u think it's easy to write it... and if u dont have a query in popups u r gone.... yes i know that not every one would use option like this..... but i think it would be nice to have something like this....

But ok.... I'll make a small addon and post it here.... smile
I'm not here to contend....

Respect ! ! ! smile

Last edited by AnachroNia; 23/09/05 12:40 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
So don't use such annoying nicks? smile

Anyhow, like mentioned, it's very easy to script it to query anyone on your notify list.

Without testing it (I don't mess with using notify lists), you should be able to just use:
on *:notify:{ query $nick }

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
That will teach me to reply when my brain's not fully in it ;-) Yes, you're right, that example does show what they mean. I dont know if I like the idea (using groups) tho I can see why others would want it. Whatever, if it gets added and can be turned off, Im fine with it (it leaves me the choice later on to explore it and see if it suits my needs) smile

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
on *:notify: {
if ($nick == whatever) { query $nick }
}

The only problem with this is if you update your notify list on a timer or something. Then you'll continuously /query $nick

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, groups would be one of those things that are optional simply by what they are. Just like you could put all your games into a single folder (as long as filenames aren't the same) and have them work, you wouldn't want to as it would be hard to do. The use of folders makes things easier, but simply by what folders are, they aren't required to be used. So, it wouldn't even be a matter of turning it on or off... you just use them or not.

Being able to sort notify nicks into groups could be useful for people who do use that feature. Since I don't, I have no need of it. I'm always in the same channels, so if someone wants to talk to me, they know where to find me. Or, they can simply msg me on IM. And, I am either not going to talk to someone if they don't want to visit my channel, or else I'll talk to them on IM. IRC doesn't need to act like IM, as far as I'm concerned. laugh

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
So, it wouldn't even be a matter of turning it on or off... you just use them or not.

Didnt I JUST say I shouldnt post here when my brain isnt in it? LOL You're absolutely right on this

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
The only problem with this is if you update your notify list on a timer or something. Then you'll continuously /query $nick

Not hard to avoid that.

alias -l on.notify.query.list { return bob fred bill mark }
on *:notify: { if (($istok($on.notify.query.list,$nick,32)) && ($($+(%,on.notifed.already.done.for.,$nick),2))) { set -u999999999 $+(%,on.notifed.already.done.for.,$nick) $true | query $nick } }
on *:unnotify: { unset $+(%,on.notifed.already.done.for.,$nick) }
on *:connect:{ unset %on.notifed.already.done.for.* }

:
* in general *
Some of his ideas i felt were merited, nothing that cant be scripted in, but then not everyone can script things in, and i could see them being used by some on a regular basis.

Link Copied to Clipboard