#128533 26/08/05 08:40 PM
E
encom Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
Hey

I have a Riskware or something on my IRC.
called: Riskware.client-irc.mirc.16.
Does anyone how to remove this? cuz I have a²-scanner and if he delete's it, and I start a new irc I have the riskware again.

Please help me cuz I get glined whole time.

Thanks.

K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
Check the documentation of that a² scanner:

Quote:
a² Malware-Info: Riskware

Programs detected in the Riskware category are not directly malicious, but are often used in conjunction with Malware. This is why the a-squared scanner detects them too.

Programs which are classified as Riskware can be:

* IRC chat clients
* SMTP clients
* Commercial downloaders
* Commercial monitoring tools
* Proxy servers
* Password recovery tools
* Commercial remote control tools
* FTP servers
* Telnet servers
* Webservers
* Other tools which are built to kill processes, hide windows or read system internals automatically.

If you don't want Riskware to be detected by the scanner, please uncheck the checkbox "Scan for Riskware" at the scanner screen.

If you download mIRC from www.mirc.com and nowhere else, you can ignore this message. The riskware classification is some overzealous warning that this program can sometimes be used in malicious ways. If counting to 50 was malicious, Calculator would be Riskware.

E
encom Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
I have already scanned and removed the riskware for like 6 times, but if I download mIRC again, I have the riskware on the irc file again :S.

Help me.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
As you've already been told, if you downloaded mIRC from http://www.mirc.com then you can ignore that message.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Riskware isn't a virus. It isn't a trojan. It isn't BAD.

Riskware is software that *can* be a risk to use. Get a better scanner that doesn't complain about such things and only tells you when you have a real virus rather than telling you that you may get one someday.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
It's not a mistake for an AV scanner to detect mIRC as riskware. The simple fact is that there are several trojans out there that use mIRC as part of their payload and so it's presence could be indicative of a trojan infection. The real issue here is trying to get AV scanner users to actually read the messages they get from their software and to use a bit of common sense, ie. to only worry about having riskware on their computer if they know they never installed it.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
pfffft some antivirus programs are just way over the top, running around crying wold at the smallest of things.

Im just waiting tell one day i see this....

WARNING WARNING, antivirus is now about to disabling your internet all together since virus's can be downloaded from it thus the internet is riskware, while im at it i well burn through the cable to the floppy drive, bash the heads of the cdrom together tell they dont work, feed 20,000 volts down your usb ports, and have already disabled your keyboard, in case you type in a virus.

Please press the 'c' key to cancel this action.

C c CC ccccccc

Sorry keyboard disabled!

Now proceding....

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
LOL Years ago I had to do a program in QBasic (that's what we were programming in back then), that basically said the same type of thing, and we also had to have it so that only a particular key combination would disable it (aside from powering down the computer, that is)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Heh. I remember programming a simple startup file in DOS that made a "formatting drive C:" thing on boot that had a 2-shade progress bar to make it look authentic. It was in a computer class as a joke. One teacher liked it when I showed it to him and he told me to leave it on for the next class. The next teacher in the room wasn't impressed. laugh

Of course, I didn't prevent it from being disabled by QBasic's Ctrl-Break keys.

Invision Support
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
i didnt think ctrl-break worked in quickbasic? what does it do?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ctrl-Break in QBasic stopped the program from running.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard