mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
I recently had to turn in an individual to Road Runner over pedophillia spam. They have decided to disregard the matter due to not having all the details in every single log be it a snippet from a much larger one or not.

I suggest an addition to the options for logging to be able to provide an undoctored export even consisting of a snippet that can contain all the possible necesary information to fulfill the requirements.

The idea I had was a log reader within mIRC that can read through the log and allow the user to select a portion of the log to export and then in the process also provide the details into the exported log as required and flagged with in mIRC in the first place.

The following is what Road Runner sent me stating what was necesary in the logs to be acceptable.
"
Your logs must contain the following information in order for Road
Runner to process them:

Date of Incident
Time of Incident
Time Zone that logs are captured in
Source IP Address or Host Name
"

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
From the list you have given, the only thing I notice that mIRC doesn't do is record the IP Address, although this is easily done via doing a /whois on the person while chatting to them. Which you obviously must have as otherwise how did you know they were using RoadRunner?

Last edited by Pasmal; 04/08/05 06:33 AM.
F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
I had provided all of the information but they want it in each of the logs to dictate that information. Since the snippets of said logs consisting of a weeks length don't have the time, time zone, date, and IP/hostname in each of the logs as they are. They are just using it as an excuse to avoid the issue.

The information for everything but my time zone was supplied. Since it is the same isp as myself, they could of easily seen that I am on the EST time zone by just looking at my address. It was a cheap cop out but if mIRC can provide the propper information it will remove one hurdle.

FireSoul

H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
Date, time, and time zone can all be added to timestamps (see /help $asctime for info on the formatting) in the options under +IRC -> Messages.

If I knew now what I will know then... maybe things will have been different...
F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
Hey!

Thankyou very much for the help. That allowed me to change the logging exactly as I wanted to just about.

Only thing I can't do is get it to be is -5 GMT instead of -0500 GMT.

FireSoul

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
When dealing with time formats:

z gives -5

zz gives -0500

zzz gives -0500 GMT

So, you can format time with -5 using:

//echo -a $time(hh:nntt z) GMT

The output of that line would be:
4:35pm -5 GMT

You can use these same formats for $asctime, $time, and $date. Obviously you don't want to include //echo -a with it when putting it somewhere. That's just to show an example.

And, just so you know, most ISPs aren't going to do much about spam on IRC. Logs can very easily be doctored. Also, many times, spam is caused by a trojan and the person with it doesn't even know they have it or that they are sending out the messages. Chances of you getting RR to do anything is minimal no matter what logs you offer them.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I would have told you to just add the extra fields into the log dump you send them, But then what do you expect them to do with this log anyway, the perfect defence would to be just deny it. Its just your word against his, while the subject matter is distastefull, what real proof of anything do you have? some text in a file? wow thats hard to make up. And likely RR is looking at it on the grounds of the last thing they want to do is end up in a lawsuit with a guy saying they falsely accused him of this or that.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Who's stopping you from copy pasting the whois info into the log?

Which leads to the better question of, who's stopping you from editing his comments to inciriminate him even further

Which leads to the even better question of, who can really trust a complaint solely based on an irc log?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Oh and the best question is:

How do you even know anything said by the user holds any spec of truth whatsoever? No one on IRC is under oath and is free to lie (or joke) as they choose.

Meaning, if you actually are going to try to chase after an anonymous user over a disturbing discussion, you should have some concrete proof besides the actual log, since the log doesn't really mean much even if you _could_ prove that it wasn't edited or forged.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard