mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#126057 24/07/05 10:48 PM
Q
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Q
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I have a need for a quiz script.

Not a bot one, but a manula operated one for team play. I have tried cosmoquiz but it is a bit too technical for me, i need something a little easier to use, anyone got any ideas.

I have been into a couple of quiz rooms who run such programs/scripts but cant remember where they were. All you had to do was typew !join and the team name.

Thanks for helping

#126058 25/07/05 02:18 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Most scripts like that are run on a bot, simply because no one can manage to stay at their computer and awake 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for however long the room is available.

By putting the script on a bot, then connecting the bot to the server and having it join the room where the quiz takes place, the bot can sit in the room, all the time (unless the connection is broken) and there's no need to have the manual interaction, which is really quite slow.

In a quiz game (or trivia) you need for the reponses to be recognized immediately and then have information sent back to the room.

To do this manually, and with a small lag, you'd have to be one of (if not) the fastest typist in the world.

I'm sorry I can't be of any help to you, but if I was to code something it would be bot based, which you have said, that you don't want.

#126059 25/07/05 05:36 AM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
I'm wondering if you saw a trivia game that has team options.
I know of two versions.
1- this one is a eggdrop version by Nerfbendr
2- this is a mirc version you can put this in your own script if you want.
Personaly i would make a new script for it but that's up to you.
this is also a trivia game and is called tat's trivia

I hope this info is some help.

greetzz

#126060 25/07/05 05:59 PM
Q
OP Offline
Q
1- this one is a eggdrop version by Nerfbendr
2- this is a mirc version you can put this in your own script if you want.

I was wondering if there was supposed to be links there above. If so I dont see any.

Also, I already have a mnual script for ordinary quizzes without the need for a bot or the need to be there 24/7. The quizzes only run when we are in the room, and all users of the room know what time the quizzes start. What I need is this kind of quiz with th facility to include teams.

Thanks again

#126061 25/07/05 06:11 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
the setting of teams is less of an issue with a quiz script than the quiz/answer part.
What are the parameters of the quiz? Trivia, multiple choice?

How do you want to present the question and answer (hints)

is this a timed event?

#126062 25/07/05 06:47 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, adding teams wouldn't be too hard, probably. Not knowing the script, I can't just say stick "___" into there and it'll work.

But, the basic idea would be something like:

1) Add people to teams -- probably in a hash table is best for this.

2) Add an IF statement to the Correct answer section that says somthing like: IF $nick is in team A, inc Team A score and output that Team A got the answer. Elseif $nick is in team B, inc Team B score and output that Team B got the answer, etc.

Not too hard, but without knowing the script, I can't tell you really what to change.

Here is a simple coded example that won't just work without setting it up for that particular script.

Code:
on *:text:!team *:#chan:{
  if ($hget(Teams) == $null) {
    hmake Teams 10
  }
  hadd Teams $2 $hget(Teams,$2) $+ $chr(44) $+ $nick
}

This will make team lists using nicks. If you want, you can replace $nick with $address($nick,2) or whatever you choose.

Usage:
!team teamname

This will allow unlimited teams... if you want, you can insert and IF statement right after the on text line to say:

Code:
if ($2 != teamname1 && $2 != teamname2) { .msg $chan Please select a valid team | halt }

And, to handle scoring:

(within the score section...)
Code:
inc %score. [ $+ [ $hfind(Teams,* $+ $nick $+ *,1,w).data ] ]
.msg $chan Team $hfind(Teams,* $+ $nick $+ *,1,w).data won!

Remember that this is a basic idea... without seeing the section of the script for scoring/getting the correct answer, nothing more than a basic idea can be written.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#126063 25/07/05 07:34 PM
Q
OP Offline
Q
Thanks Riamus

You get the idea of what I want to happen, unfortunately I didnt write the script I am using. The guy who did write is no longer part of the internet network and has gone away. S I dont understand a word of the script you wrote other than your description is what I am after. I was hoping that there would already be a script our there that does it already.

I just do not have the knowledge to even begin writing a script let alone adding bits in.

Look like we wil just have to give that a miss.

I would expect it will cost quite a lot of money for someone to write a complete script or at least edit the one I have, which is just out of the questions

Thanks anyway

QuizToon

#126064 25/07/05 07:41 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Best option...

I'd recommend pressing Alt-R on whatever client is running the script. Then, press Ctrl-F and check the box for searching all files. Do a search for the text you see when someone gets the correct answer. Once you find that, copy/paste the entire file that the find took you to. Then, paste it into here. Please, include [ code ] above it (no spaces) and [ /code ] below it (again, no spaces). Soemone here will probably be willing to look at it for you.

If you just need a very basic trivia script, someone may even be willing to write one up for you. But, if you want advanced features like most trivia scripts have, then you probably won't get someone to just write one up for you as it would be too much work.

You might also try mircscripts.org and similar script sites for trivia scripts. You might find one you like there.

Invision Support
#126065 25/07/05 07:54 PM
Q
OP Offline
Q
Thanks again Riamus

Not entirely sure i understand you there but I do have the .mrc file that runs the quiz script if thats what you mean. seems an awful lot to past into here.

If thats what you mean please let me know and I can paste it in or even email/upload to web the file.

If this is the case and you were able to look through it and suggest the relevenat code in the relevant places yu would become my all time hero.

Thanks again

#126066 25/07/05 08:02 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You can paste it to nomorepasting.com and then give the link generated to us here, if you want.

Invision Support
#126067 25/07/05 08:09 PM
Q
OP Offline
Q
What a good idea that site is. Saves clogging up forums such as this.

the script is located at

http://www.nomorepasting.com/paste.php?pasteID=45020

it is saved in my mirc directory as autoquiz.mrc

Thanks Riamus, you are almost at absolute god status now

#126068 27/07/05 08:39 PM
Q
OP Offline
Q
would be great if someone could just give me a hint or the name of someone who could update it for me. If not, well never mind.

Thanks for your help anyway

#126069 27/07/05 08:54 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm sorry, I've been a bit busy. I may have a chance to look at it tonight, but if not, then I won't probably be able to look into it until Monday. Maybe someone else here is willing to take a look for you before then.

Invision Support
#126070 28/07/05 10:54 PM
Q
OP Offline
Q
I have since found one or two scripts which i can use (ayamquiz2.21 and cosmoquiz is another), but unfortunately ayamquiz, which looks ideal will not run in mirc 6.16

I have managed to get it to work in an older version of mirc so will have to make do with that for now.

Thanks Riamus, if you do get chance to look at my other script it would be appreciated. I can see you have been busy with the amount of replies and assistance you give on this server.

Thanks again

Link Copied to Clipboard