mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
Often when my connection brakes (e.g.: "Connection reset by peer") and I try to reconnect to the servers I am on, mIRC will stop responding and start lagging the system too (100% CPU usage).

After closing (CTRL+ALT+DEL variety of closing), restarting mIRC, everything will work fine.

I do not use any scripts.

Last edited by DustWolf; 14/07/05 03:35 PM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I can't reproduce this bug, nor have I ever had it happen it in the past

mIRC 6.16, Windows XP SP1

what version/os are you on?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
Can't reproduce

mIRC 6.16, Windows XP SP2

D
OP Offline
D
I probably couldn't reproduce it if I wanted to either. The reconnect problem only occurs when something up in the network goes wrong and mIRC is disconnected with a "Connection reset by peer" as a result. Unplugging the network cable after a house router might work in reproducing the bug.

I am on Windows 98SE mIRC v6.16. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the operating system since the problem is only evident in mIRC.

Last edited by DustWolf; 14/07/05 10:38 PM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Quote:
Unplugging the network cable after a house router might work in reproducing the bug.

This has happened many times to me in the past.. never have I gotten that crash.

Quote:
I am on Windows 98SE mIRC v6.16. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the operating system since the problem is only evident in mIRC.

How are you so sure? The bug is unable to be reproduced by 2 people on XP, both sp1 and sp2, and yet you seem to have the problem on 98se. The operating system cannot really be ruled out until more data is collected. Also keep in mind, just because it only happens in mIRC, does not mean it is necessarily mIRC's fault (RE: dns bug, various other mIRC glitches due to windows bugs, etc)

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I've been unable to recreate this situation using various Windows operating systems..95, 98, MS, XP, XP SP1 & XP SP2. Using mIRC 5.91 on the 95, and 6.16 on the rest.

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Quote:
Often when my connection brakes (e.g.: "Connection reset by peer") and I try to reconnect to the servers I am on, mIRC will stop responding and start lagging the system too (100% CPU usage).

After closing (CTRL+ALT+DEL variety of closing), restarting mIRC, everything will work fine.

I do not use any scripts.

Have you checked you don't have any active timer ? In your case, I see the result of an infinite boucle while in exemple.
Are you tested CONTROL+BREAK ?
What is the type of internet connexion ?
Is there not a port which is blocked by your router ?

Last edited by dunkelzahn; 15/07/05 10:27 AM.
D
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Have you checked you don't have any active timer ? In your case, I see the result of an infinite boucle while in exemple.
Are you tested CONTROL+BREAK ?
What is the type of internet connexion ?
Is there not a port which is blocked by your router ?

No timers. I don't see which could be running. Ctrl+break I'll try. Internet connection is ADSL. My router blocks lots of incoming ports but no outgoing ones.

D
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Quote:

How are you so sure? The bug is unable to be reproduced by 2 people on XP, both sp1 and sp2, and yet you seem to have the problem on 98se. The operating system cannot really be ruled out until more data is collected. Also keep in mind, just because it only happens in mIRC, does not mean it is necessarily mIRC's fault (RE: dns bug, various other mIRC glitches due to windows bugs, etc)

I am a programmer and in my field of buissness, windows glitches are no excuse for making unstable software.

Anyway, I use several programs that make all kinds of connections on this system (servers of various kinds, p2p that maintains long-term connections, etc; I have several Win98SE boxes) and mIRC is the only program that ever crashes in this way (at it is only maintaining two or three connections). I call this a mIRC bug even if it's some unhandled exception in the OS, it obviously can be handled as it is in all the other programs and so this is a perfecly valid bug report. Just... fix it.

I understand the bug is hard to reproduce. Because of it's predictable nature (only crashes after reconnect) I can gather additional informations using debugging tools, just tell me how.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
I am a programmer and in my field of buissness, windows glitches are no excuse for making unstable software.

Funny, out of all the hundreds of thousands (conservatively) of people that have downloaded this "unstable software" you seem to be the only one able to reproduce this "glitch". Must be really unstable eh?

BTW .. "buissness" is spelled business .. maybe your next programming efforts should be a spell checker for your browser.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Try to deactivate all others programs in resident state (p2p and others) and check if you have always your "bug".

Is it not a disconnection from your provider going to manually deactivate your modem or your connection to reactivate after ?

D
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Try to deactivate all others programs in resident state (p2p and others) and check if you have always your "bug".

Is it not a disconnection from your provider going to manually deactivate your modem or your connection to reactivate after ?

The other network-using programs are not running on this machine at the moment (beside a small webserver, but that mIRC problem was around since before I put it here), they are running on my other boxes, which have the same OS.

As for disconnecting the modem, etc, that is somewhat impractical since my LAN contains several computers that need a stable connection and are unaffected by the disconnect that gives mIRC problems. But it gives me some ideas as to what to try, I will think of it and try some the next time I suspect problems.

D
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Funny, out of all the hundreds of thousands (conservatively) of people that have downloaded this "unstable software" you seem to be the only one able to reproduce this "glitch". Must be really unstable eh?

I doubt every single mIRC user even knows this place exists, they use pre-cracked mIRC scripts instead.

As for the unstability bit, windows software is notorious for acting diffirently on diffirent machines. And yet if you want to say it is bug free, you have to make it work right on any stable computer that meets the minimal requirements.

Quote:
BTW .. "buissness" is spelled business .. maybe your next programming efforts should be a spell checker for your browser.

I have an excuse: English is not my mothertounge.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Ok, this bickering is becoming rather pointless and is not helping this thread get anywhere... let's get back to the point here

DustWolf:
Can you still reproduce this bug? if so, try getting a better feel of what causes it and report back to us with more details on how we can try to reproduce it as well

If not, well then you should consider the possibility that maybe your machine just hiccuped once.. or twice..

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Whether "every" user knows this forum is here (though the site is listed on the About screen), it is still true that thousands (tens/hundreds of thousands???) of users use this program without it doing what you are having issues with. I'd say that is a pretty good indication that it isn't a bug with mIRC itself, but with something on your computer. As you said, it works fine on your other computers.

Even if it is a bug, unless you can provide some information to help determine exactly what the cause is, the chances anyone will find it are slim. When none of us can reproduce this, then you have to provide all relevant information.

Realize that a virus or trojan could cause this, P2P can cause this, firewalls (hardware or software) could cause this, routers could cause this.... I'm not saying all those will give this problem. I am just saying that those are possible culprits. There are too many possibilities for the cause. Obviously it IS some conflict on your computer with mIRC. Whether it's mIRC's fault or whatever it's conflicting with, it is still because of a conflict between two+ things. It's going to be up to you to find out WHAT it is conflicting with before anyone can determine how to fix the problem.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I thought i said stop fighting. all of this stuff was mentioned by me and others, riamus... let's move on.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC

Link Copied to Clipboard