mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Matrixx Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Ive jusy downloaded mIRC 6.16 and after i installed it, Norton keeps prompting me with messages like these:

Default Block NetSpy Trojan horse
Default Block Extreme Trojan horse
Default Block Ultors Trojan horse
Default Block Backdoor/SubSeven Trojan horse
Default Block FTP999CMP Trojan horse
Default Block Shiva Burka Trojan horse

The above are just afew before I had to shut it down, can you tell me whats going on, as I assumed downloading from this site that mIRC didn't have any Trojans in it.. confused

Gary
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
The mIRC downloads from this site are trojan & virus free. This is a problem with the way Norton, and some other anti-virus programs detect trojans. I suggest that you ensure that your virus definitions are up-to-date then reboot and reinstall mIRC. You shouldn't have any problems with up-to-date virus definitions, as that is what I had to do with my version of Norton before installing mIRC. Once my virus definitions were up-to-date, I had no problems.

If you find that you still have problems, by all means, post a reply letting us know.

P.S.: The auto-update is not sufficient. Run a manual update of you Norton files.

Matrixx Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Ive posted a screenshot of the alerts that I keep having..

My anti-virus definitions are up to date and just to make sure I did a manual update aswell

I also rebooted and rienstalled mIRC aswell.. confused

Gary
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
alter the dcc ports mirc is using to something like 5001-5009, you maybe getting inbound dcc traffic detected as penertration attempts due to the ports mirc is telling the dcc to use

alt-o / connect / options / advanced / first & last & maybe tick use random ports

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Worm/Script detection is garbage. smile

Yes, it's my personal opinion, but I'm right!!! LOL!

Anyhow, a worm/script detection can easily detect a simply mIRC script as a trojan if certain condition are met. I had a simple backup script that compressed our trivia bot's scores and questions and certain other things and then sent those to a couple other ops as a safety measure. That script was considered a trojan because of what it does.

As far as I'm concerned worm/script detection is more trouble than it is worth. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Matrixx Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Quote:
alter the dcc ports mirc is using to something like 5001-5009, you maybe getting inbound dcc traffic detected as penertration attempts due to the ports mirc is telling the dcc to use

alt-o / connect / options / advanced / first & last & maybe tick use random ports

Still getting the same alerts.. now what do I do frown

Note: I am using Invision Script 3515b (would that be anything to do with this)

Last edited by Matrixx; 12/07/05 07:18 PM.
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Open up norton and disable "internet worm protection". As long as you have a firewall its a virtually useless feature and causes nothing but trouble.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
hehe he might actually be infected of course smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Considering there is no such thing as Invision 3515b... there's an "a", but not a "b"... he may have gotten a hacked script. If he means Invision 2b3515 (with or without the "a" at the end), then that wouldn't be a hacked script as long as it's from an official source.

I've never heard anyone having that much trouble with Invision and Nortons (usually just during install if anything.. .and that depends on the virus definitions file being used). So, in either case, it does sound like he's perhaps infected by something. Who knows.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Matrixx Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Quote:
Note: I am using Invision Script 3515b (would that be anything to do with this)

My mistake sorry it's Invision 2b3515
which I got from here>> http://invision.lebyte.com

Ive done a full Virus Scan and nothing detected, so ill Disable "internet worm protection" in Norton and start again and see what happens...

Gary

Link Copied to Clipboard