mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
What is the best server to logon to if I want lots of MP3 channels? I used to use MIRC all the time for this purpose but recently I got a "can't logon" message. After reading this message board I found out I need to specify my server instead of the random selection. I used to get hundreds of channels loaded with people and music servers. Now, I can't find very many.

Thanks for any help.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
1. this board isnt warez central. we dont supply you with sources for music/movies/games/virii nor do we deliver overnight or do it your way.

2. if ppl did post channels, it would be considered spam, which we frown on

3. if you are talking about DALnet, they have made a change to their AUP and are not allowing channels which have filesharing as their primary purpose, see their web page

4. dont ask what networks to go to now. try kaaza, they have their very own virii.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
K
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
K
i agree with everything you said parabrat, except the kazza thing....if ya'll are gonna tell people to use something like kazaa, tell em "Try a gnutella or Opennap client, search the internet with the terms 'gnutella clients'."

just thought i would throw my 25 cents in there smile

keek: Scots - intr.v. keeked, keek·ing, keeks
To peek; peep.
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
kazzaa gnutella ..... they are all the same ...... i think what parabrat is trying to point out is u should use something thats designed SPECIFICLY for filesharing ..... i know the whole yes but mirc allows DCC so it can be used for it arguement but the absolute best place for u to find these files ..... are infact not in chat but thru those so designed programs

D3m0nnet.com
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I have to agree with that...kazaa, morpheus, or iMesh are great places to download mp3's (I have downloaded nearly hundreds of albums and burned them to disc...) mIRC can download yes but it is not recommended at all especially by the majority of us on this forum....besides using a P2P program that is designed specifically for that may be quicker as well.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Some networks disallow what you want and this appears to be a growing trend, and a good one too.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Actually, i was trying to point out that
1. dont ask us where to get files
2. go find something else to use besides mIRC
3. wherever you download, you are at risk for trojans/virii

I mentioned kaaza since at the time i happened to be reading about a trojan there... while i know there are many ways ppl can get the files they want, i'm not here to supply a list of them because of #3.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
OP Offline
Hmm, I had no idea that DCC was such a bad thing on mIRC. I used to see hundreds of channels with hundreds of people in each. I live on a college campus so it's a bit hard to obtain MP3s through their restrictive network. A friend showed me mIRC and I really like D/Ling MP3s here b/c you can get an entire album from 1 person and you know it will be complete. I am using Kazaa somewhat, but I hate getting MP3s on there b/c you get mixed files. If I download an entire album (lets say 12 songs) on kazaa, I will need to get 12 files from 12 (hell, maybe even hundreds of) different people. That means 12 different people recorded them and they are all different quality, some are incomplete, and some skip.

If mIRC doesn't allow mass DCC sharing, then I guess the best alternative for what I'm looking for is FTP. I used to use Audiogalaxy back when it was an FTP/MP3 search engine but now it kinda sucks. Anyone know of sites that will search out FTP sites (like audiogalaxy USED TO be)?

OP Offline
BTW, I wasn't asking the mods where to find some. I know it's not your business to be answering that type of question. I was just hoping some users would be able to tell me their favorite places and servers.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Yes you may be able to get an album from one person but just the same as kazaa or any P2P program, Quality Depends. On a cable modem I can have an album of 12 songs within 5-10 minutes. I don't know how patient of a person you are because i strictly use kazaa for downloading media because it was made for that, but I listen to each song before I assign the proper track tags (I hate when people cant properly name a music title by putting random numbers to be identified to) If the song I downloaded was shitty I make note of it and when I finish listening to that album I will go through and delete the corrupt songs and redownload from someone else until I get a better quality song and in full. Chances of getting a good quality song on Kazaa or any P2P program the first try are really good. But I also scan each file before playing them. When I know I have the complete album - by double checking the correct song and order with a tracklist on the net or by a friend, I will then burn copies of it for my personal enjoyment. I just don't recommend using mIRC for that because well not everyone online is a friendly person....Ive seen instances where someone was downloading a song or at least they though and ended up downloading a trojan instead. Plus I've had my past experiences with downloading on mIRC and well I was one of the unfortunate. Lets say that this thing duplicated itself over 7000 times....totally fried my main windows directory....I could not go to a restore point because it got to that too.....but was lucky enough to do a system recovery....and since then I have not had a problem.....I just try to make certain that people know that downloading from mIRC or ANY program is a risky thing. Just something to think about the next time you are downloading...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hmm, I had no idea that DCC was such a bad thing on mIRC. I used to see hundreds of channels with hundreds of people in each.

Enjoy that whilst it lasts. Call it a bold prediction but I reckon that will be a thing of the past inside 12 months.

Unless you like endlessly patrolling your computer for viruses I suggest you go to a record shop, buy the music and copy the CD to your computer using an MP3 programme. This is legal if you are only making the copies for yourself and if done properly the music quality is better too.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Oh yeah id also like to mention the fact that downloading anything is illegal....But i know that i will accept responsibility for my actions. besides I will buy a cd depending on whether or not i like what ive downloaded. I like to preview before i buy and some people may agree. Although the sound quality that i have burned my discs are as sharp as cd quality....But like i have stated it is illegal and not recommended by most. so in otherwards dont jump on the bandwagon unless you are prepared to accept any consequences.

The only reason Kazaa and morpheus are up is because they arent as big as napster was when it started...Napster got too big too fast and corporate america needed to make some examples of them. If the government really wanted to they could have all P2P programs a thing of the past... Kazaa has been taken to court i do believe but they are still running. All im saying is DO NOT LISTEN TO ME! LOL

Last edited by The_Game; 22/02/03 01:47 AM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
/me sticks her fingers in her ears! :tongue:

I used to use Napster all the time until Metallica got greedy (as if they need the money!). There is always going to be 'illegal' filesharing over the net...it would be impossible to stop all of it. I've tried some of the others but quite honestly they're pretty rubbish. A couple of reasons have already been brought up, and there's always the risk of spyware as well as everything else. So I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather buy a cd on eBay - and I only pay £5 max. So what if it's second hand? At least it's a real cd with a real cover. laugh

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
If ya dont know well there is an addon for Kazaa that eliminates spyware and advertisements plus its constantly makes sure your downloads are downloading by checking for users yada yada...I found that it works quite well and you can get it here ! check it out it may be worth using...but i know that there will always be filesharing and well metallica didnt need the money they just wanted to make an example out of Napster because they grew too big too fast something like 60 million users in less than a year....i dont buy a cd for the cover or anything i buy it for the music....but yes i know the risks when i download....i take a chance but i know that i am responsible if i get a virus because i left my pc vulnerable.....ah well im just saying that "Im not telling you anything that you dont already know" Take care..

Link Copied to Clipboard