Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#120771 24/05/05 06:42 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Quote:
If someone WANTS to use webcam, they will get the script to use it. If they DON'T care about webcam, then they will not. It is that simple. You make it sound like having everyone get the script is a problem. It isn't. If someone wants to do webcam, they'll get it. Just because you want to use webcam doesn't mean everyone else has to have it as an option.

Sure, you can say that you have the script but can't use it since no one else has it. That isn't the fault of the script. That means that other people don't WANT to use webcam in mIRC. If they really wanted to use webcam in mIRC, they'd get that script.

Many people use only one IM client and not all of them. Sure, they could install all of them or use a multiple client like Trillian so they can talk to people on all clients. If they care about that, they will do so. If they don't care, then they'll only use teh client they like. It's really the same thing. If someone wants to do it, they will.

And... Just because you and others dont want webcam support, others do. What is the easy way to resolve this? Add the support and who likes to use, fine. Who doesnt like to use, ignore it. Just we have SSL. And comparing SSL and Webcam , webcam is more and more used than SSL.

Or you are telling me that I will have to contact all hundreds of millions mIRC users and tell them that if they want to use webcam on mIRC they will need to download ByteCam ? This is a little funny, isnt?

Last edited by Debug; 24/05/05 06:52 PM.
#120772 24/05/05 07:24 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Why add something that is already available? And, as I said, people who want it will get that script. You don't have to make people get it. As I said before, your comments about having to contact people to get them to use it is invalid as people who want it will already get it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#120773 24/05/05 08:11 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Everything needs improves and changes..

Cars now have dvd, mp3...
Cell phones now have photos, mp3, sound record, webcam...
Digital cam now have webcam, sound record...

Why? Because they need this to increase, to improve the options, to bring new users. Why mIRC cant do this?

/me already waiting for only one reason

#120774 24/05/05 08:24 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Quote:
/me already waiting for only one reason

What?? This thread, and many more like it is full of reasons.
Just like they're full of reasons to add it. People either want
it or they don't, and a few don't give a damn either way. Is
the earth going to explode if it's added? Of course not. Am
I going to go on a killing spree if it's added? Of course not,
but does that mean that all opposed to this should just give
in and agree with you people? No. I don't want it to be added
because I want mIRC to remain a text chat client, that's it,
no other reasons.

#120775 24/05/05 08:36 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Easy.
Just like I said before: Add like SSL.

You use? Great. Thanks very much mIRC, more users, more options.
You dont use? Ignore and continue using your mIRC Text-based Chat.

So easy. I cant understand why this improve will hurt you and the others.

#120776 24/05/05 08:40 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Yes I said before that if it were added as a plugin then
that wouldn't be so bad because if I don't install the plugin
then it hasn't been added. But just to be able to disable it
and ignore it? Screw that, and that's a crappy response
to opposition.

#120777 24/05/05 08:50 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Sorry if I am boring you or anybody here, but I want so much this improve.

I use mIRC all days, almost 24hs, I work with computers, and here in Brazil, the IRC networks have lost so many users to MSN just because of the webcam support.
I dont know if you already knew BRASnet network, this network was always on the Top 6/7 of the world, and today the network is no more on Netsplit.de and the network doesnt have 30% of the users of 2004.
Thats why I and all brazilians would like this improve so much, I wanna see mIRC and IRC increase all days, not losing users to MSN.

So, Im going now and this is my last reply. Sorry if anybody get bored with my replies. Thats is only my opinion. And thanks all.

Best Regards.

#120778 25/05/05 07:53 AM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
Easy.
Just like I said before: Add like SSL.

You use? Great. Thanks very much mIRC, more users, more options.
You dont use? Ignore and continue using your mIRC Text-based Chat.

So easy. I cant understand why this improve will hurt you and the others.

It amazes me how most people ignore the obvious.

- IRC uses the IRC protocol - text based chat.
- mIRC is an IRC client.
- There are plenty of programs that provide WebCam support.
- mIRC and these programs run on windows.

Why not have both mIRC and your WebCam application running? (This can also be streamlined by a small script as mentioned earlier).

Some here want good reasons why not to implement webcam support? Search these boards .. these answers have already been provided.

To provide a simple analogy - I don't own a semi-trailer to commute around the city, and I don't own a small car to do long-range haulage. Use the right tools for the job!

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
#120779 25/05/05 10:26 AM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Quote:

And... Just because you and others dont want webcam support, others do. What is the easy way to resolve this? Add the support and who likes to use, fine. Who doesnt like to use, ignore it. Just we have SSL. And comparing SSL and Webcam , webcam is more and more used than SSL.

SSL is more directly related to IRC servers than webcam. It is more relevant to mIRC.

#120780 25/05/05 10:30 AM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Quote:
I use mIRC all days, almost 24hs, I work with computers, and here in Brazil, the IRC networks have lost so many users to MSN just because of the webcam support.

1. Surely there must be some other competing product out there other than mIRC that has IRC and webcam support built in natively. If so, why not use it. People don't find mIRC by searching for 'Webcam chat'.

2. [And a flame] Perhaps people outside of Brazil are not as vain/place as much importance about seeing what people look like / are doing while they converse [/end flame]

Quote:

I wanna see mIRC and IRC increase all days, not losing users to MSN.

I wouldn't mind seeing mIRC increase, but if it means lots of 'ASL/webcam?' messages then no thanks. My mIRC soul isn't for sale.

Last edited by Pasmal; 25/05/05 10:34 AM.
#120781 25/05/05 11:18 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I hear alot of arguements that basicly say "It has never been in there so why add it" which make absolutely no sence to me at all. I dont see how adding Webcam will make it any less textbased. and again to use or not use is a choice.

Bytecam ? i dont see how saying it can be done already should be an arguement not to implement it standardly. it be nice if it was supported natively as the greater part of the IRC community has no idea how to load a script and even if they dont know how to use it.

IRC protocol is old who says protocols cant be updated ? and Webcam could be a new form of DCC withouth interfering with the protocol.

$maybe
#120782 25/05/05 11:22 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
Use the right tools for the job!

Cheers,

DK

id say mIRC is THE tool to meet new people around the globe so it doesnt make ANY sence to me to use another program to see who im talking to.

$maybe
#120783 25/05/05 06:25 PM
H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
I have to admit that I'm extremely tired of seeing so many new posts without anything new to say. I really can't imagine that anything that can be said has not been posted at least 3 times already. For the sake of all that is good and right, please take a moment before you submit to ask yourself, "is this just a rehash of something that someone else has already said?" If so, DON'T SAY IT.

Additionally, I think that at this point, it really is up to Khaled to read these pages of comments that don't necessarily have anything to do with the original post, and make his own decisions, taking mIRC where he thinks is best. I trust him to make the right choice for the future of mIRC.

I know that this post is probably useless, and people will continue unabated, but if I can stop just one person from being a parrot, I consider that to be worth it.

Hmmmmmm... I wonder if Khaled is as sick of the banter as I am.

If I knew now what I will know then... maybe things will have been different...
#120784 25/05/05 07:48 PM
S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
Quote:
I hear alot of arguements that basicly say "It has never been in there so why add it" which make absolutely no sence to me at all. I dont see how adding Webcam will make it any less textbased. and again to use or not use is a choice.

Perfect.
To use or not use is a free choice. Its so hard to understand that this feature WONT change ANYTHING to who wont use?

Quote:
Bytecam ? i dont see how saying it can be done already should be an arguement not to implement it standardly. it be nice if it was supported natively as the greater part of the IRC community has no idea how to load a script and even if they dont know how to use it.

Amem. New users dont know how to change the nickname and imagine dealing with dll, loading scripts, unloading.
Simple question: Why not help if you can?

Quote:
IRC protocol is old who says protocols cant be updated ? and Webcam could be a new form of DCC withouth interfering with the protocol.

Sure can be updated. And more.. there are already a lot of updates, look the rfcs.

#120785 25/05/05 07:56 PM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Quote:

To use or not use is a free choice. Its so hard to understand that this feature WONT change ANYTHING to who wont use?

Perhaps we want to prevent the number of webcam wheeling hippies on channels going round pestering all the guys with female sounding nicknames for webcams instead of just ASLs.

Perhaps we don't want to be caught dead using a program that has a built in webcam because of the stereotypes generated from it (kekeke you're another noob with a webcam irc client kekeke).

And of course, once again, if the demand for a webcam in an IRC client was so great, howcome mIRC isn't dead and some superior IRC client with webcam ability has taken its place? (See point 1 point avoiding webcam wheeling hippies).

#120786 25/05/05 09:08 PM
S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps we want to prevent the number of webcam wheeling hippies on channels going round pestering all the guys with female sounding nicknames for webcams instead of just ASLs.

Perhaps we don't want to be caught dead using a program that has a built in webcam because of the stereotypes generated from it (kekeke you're another noob with a webcam irc client kekeke).

And of course, once again, if the demand for a webcam in an IRC client was so great, howcome mIRC isn't dead and some superior IRC client with webcam ability has taken its place? (See point 1 point avoiding webcam wheeling hippies).

Accept webcam requests from:
( ) Anyone
( ) Notify
( ) Nobody

Very simple.

#120787 25/05/05 09:19 PM
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Quote:
If someone WANTS to use webcam, they will get the script to use it. If they DON'T care about webcam, then they will not. It is that simple. You make it sound like having everyone get the script is a problem. It isn't. If someone wants to do webcam, they'll get it. Just because you want to use webcam doesn't mean everyone else has to have it as an option.

Sure, you can say that you have the script but can't use it since no one else has it. That isn't the fault of the script. That means that other people don't WANT to use webcam in mIRC. If they really wanted to use webcam in mIRC, they'd get that script.

Many people use only one IM client and not all of them. Sure, they could install all of them or use a multiple client like Trillian so they can talk to people on all clients. If they care about that, they will do so. If they don't care, then they'll only use teh client they like. It's really the same thing. If someone wants to do it, they will.

I am amaizing how negative you are about the webcam issue. I think it is really the only way to get webcam support for newbies to add it directly on software not a script made to mIRC so that those who wanna speak webcam does go to download em. This is false. Now if they want to chat webcam they say:

Hello who are you?
-I am guy from Finland
Oh really may I voice-chat and video talk with you?
-ok here is my messenger: plaah@piippilidoo.com
Ok wait a second. See you at messenger.

You arent going to say hey lets do it with mIRC... You just have to go there and there and dowload that and that and after 30min babling OMG you got A mIRC script and OMG we see each others!!!

Thats the why just if UNKNOWN people meets not girlfriends and moms because as you know they would use messenger with contacting you as messenger sees you email too.

Thats the reason why implementing voice and webcam supports make it easier and more fun to chat.

And ofcourse I mean external (donno if that was a correct word) support for webcam user to user not using IRC as it takes too much bandwith for IRC networks.

Let keep mIRC as a text client but add a support for voice and webcam so that if someone wants they can easilly do it. With everybody with options not to take a webcam reguestes if you do not have webcam or do not want to use it somehow.

Still I havent seen a good reason why not to upgrade mIRC into the nowdays needs.

Last edited by Jeroi; 25/05/05 09:22 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard