Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#120751 23/05/05 10:43 PM
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Firstly I wanna thank you guys for this post as I didnt have to start it laugh

1. mIRC looks old. It's old. Why it have to look old? Why not upgrade it? it is conservative to say it is good and lets not change it. Again why? You can implement "old" look for mIRC if new look do not feel good like Winamp 5 does even tho it has a greate skin support.

2a. adding webcam would be fantastic thing to prevent users using microsoft products like msn messenger. Ofcourse this would have to be done really good way to make it work and look good on mIRC.
2b. adding voice-com could be must as many irc users play internet games and atm they need third party voice-com software. I dont see why cant mIRC program take it to the next generation an upgrade this and webcam support?

3. Smileys... I say lets leave that off from irc. Smileys is boring youngster way to say smileys. irc type laugh is better than msn type of smilies. OR you could add smileys support where you could chose to see them but not your opposite person so then it stays user friendly way.

I think mIRC dosent have to stay in the shape like it has been always. City changes, interenet websites changes, programs changes and all evolve into next generation things.

The way like it coould be done is to make mIRC2 or something.
I like to say that dont flame me right away. I have taught these things long time and I am not youngster but I just support evolving. I am not conservative person.

#120752 23/05/05 11:09 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Quote:
2a. adding webcam would be fantastic thing to prevent users using microsoft products like msn messenger. Ofcourse this would have to be done really good way to make it work and look good on mIRC.

Sure!
Its very annoying who love to use mIRC and cant use just cause mIRC doesnt have support for it. (Assuming that more than 70% of the internet ppl have webcam)

Quote:
2b. adding voice-com could be must as many irc users play internet games and atm they need third party voice-com software. I dont see why cant mIRC program take it to the next generation an upgrade this and webcam support?

Maybe because "mIRC is a TEXT based chat".
Sure, and we are on 2005, not 1990. Almost everybody have webcam and mic and wanna use this in mIRC.

Quote:
I think mIRC dosent have to stay in the shape like it has been always. City changes, interenet websites changes, programs changes and all evolve into next generation things.

Microsoft changes
Macromedia changes
MSN changes
Adobe changes
Everything changes...

Where the users with webcam and mic will use this? MSN? No, IRC is IRC. MSN is MSN.
And this is not a feature, this is a need.

#120753 23/05/05 11:15 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Quote:
This thread is about the look of mIRC. I don't think people are going to say:

(Nick1): Hey Nicktwo
(Nick2): Hey
(Nick1): We could chat here, but this window is like, so 1995.
(Nick2): Totally. Let's go to MSN.
(Nick1): Yeah.

No, they are going to say:

(Nick1) I have webcam, where can i use it?
(Nick1) here?
(Nick2) No, sorry.
(Nick2) but i love mIRC, why not?
(Nick1) not supported.

Only this wink

#120754 24/05/05 01:42 AM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Hey I have an idea. Really a special edition of mIRC isn't a bad
idea except instead of calling it Professional Edition it could
be called Mickey Mouse Edition. Then all the kiddies that want
their lame crap, can get their webcam, smileys, skins, themes,
stupid text effects, avatars & really whatever the hell they
want while the real mIRC is left alone to look exactly like
it does. What do you say? Shall we start a petition?

Debug This wasn't a reply at you alone but to everyone.

Last edited by mIRCManiac; 24/05/05 01:52 AM.
#120755 24/05/05 03:04 AM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
And maybe a boyfriend could see a girlfriend that lives far, a friend that you didnt see after a long time, this is not lame, this is normal wink

#120756 24/05/05 03:42 AM
S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
There is a webcam script for IRC here:

http://www.mircscripts.com/cgi-bin/file.php?id=361

And as far as adding the tree view thing and other stuff that could be scripted I consider that kind of thing a waste of Khaled's time. Why should he implement something in mIRC when it could be easily scripted? His time would be better spent on other ways of improving mIRC and fixing bugs etc.

Quote:

In my opinion, mIRC needs a new look and improves, especially webcam support.
Why?
70% or more of the people on the Internet have Webcam and cant use it on mIRC cause mIRC doesnt have support for this. Really sux!

I imagine somebody in the channel:
(Nick) Anybody wanna chat? I have webcam
(Nick2) Sure, let go Nick.
(Nick) What is your MSN?
* Nick quit IRC and go MSN
* Nick2 quit IRC and go MSN

This is sux, guys! mIRC needs this.
Sure that some people dont like Webcam, so ignore and dont use. But let who likes to use on mIRC.

Thats the true!

#120757 24/05/05 05:42 AM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
I know about this ByteCam. But tell this to the millions of users wink

#120758 24/05/05 10:23 AM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
[General posting. Just hit reply beside Debug because it was the closest link]

I for one dread the day when webcam support is merged with mIRC (mIRC for IRC, like the others said). I also highly question all this apparent popularity placed on webcams.

If people really want webcam support and skinning *that bad*, then they'll go off and use another client. Their choice what client they use.

If webcams were truly an important thing, mIRC would be well dead by now. And so would these message boards which for some silly reason lack the ability to have inset webcam frames.

Funnily, some of us find the old school approach the best approach. There's something about chatting on an IRC channel in the late hours of the nite, creating communial prose within the channel and everyone enjoying the banter together. It's that culture that is IRC. Not watching someone pick his nose on the other end of a cam.

'Course, this comes from someone who occasionally connects to IRC via telnet just for kicks.

PRIVMSG #mIRC :Long live textual conversation.

Last edited by Pasmal; 24/05/05 10:25 AM.
#120759 24/05/05 12:10 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
mIRC looks: Too many people to please em all, i think going for a basic distribution like mIRC is now is perfect Theres so much that can be changed and if you feel the personal need to you should just change it.

Webcam: I have yet to see a good reason why this shouldnt be implemented, it would only put IRC back on the map and i dont see how it would hurt anyone. IRC is a place to meet new people Messengers is a tool for people you already know. With that said, adding webcam support wont make it a messenger like program, the comparison shouldnt be drawn into the discusion.
it wont be forced upon you at all you can always choose not to watch some1 pick his nose

Skinning: See mIRC looks.

Last edited by Mpdreamz; 24/05/05 12:12 PM.

$maybe
#120760 24/05/05 02:30 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Quote:
Webcam: I have yet to see a good reason why this shouldnt be implemented, it would only put IRC back on the map and i dont see how it would hurt anyone.

Perfect. I am waiting until now one good reason why this shouldnt be added.

Quote:
IRC is a place to meet new people Messengers is a tool for people you already know. With that said, adding webcam support wont make it a messenger like program, the comparison shouldnt be drawn into the discusion.

Perfect again.
mIRC will never be like MSN of other Messengers, why? mIRC is a place to talk with your friends and meet new people. Messenger is a place to talk with your friends only in your contact list.

#120761 24/05/05 03:23 PM
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Yes those are my way to think about mIRC look. I think IRC is chat program. Chat means voice-chat too. And even bettre voice and webcam. Still you could meet alot of peeps on irc put in same time you could start chatting with em by voice and webcam. It really is oldschool way to think progress and new stuff is bad and makes the program worse. Thats lie! Program will not get bad but it CHANGES. Are you afrite of it?

Then again I think Khaled are not willing to start developing mIRC once again into it's next generation version which would be more able to compete with msn messenger and others. IRC is starting to be a really old way to chat. Why not improve it? I really look forward to see a mIRC type of program which can connect to quakenet and I could start voice-chats with espanian people even tho I am from Finland and start gaming with them. I think it would be easy to make a server integrated to mIRC so that you can chose to run voice-com server inside mIRC and get your mates in it.

I ask this and I point it directly to Khaled:

Are you still willing to develope mIRC program or developing a new program which is mIRC style but uses these nowdays possibilites?

Then again is there a coder who would start this kind of projekt to get a new and modern mIRC program?

And who says kids wanna progress? You are fool. Even if you grow older you can still chose to want progress in your life and have childish imagination.

#120762 24/05/05 03:36 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Quote:
And who says kids wanna progress? You are fool. Even if you grow older you can still chose to want progress in your life and have childish imagination.

Well I guess since I said kiddies that one was for me?
I have nothing against progress at all, in fact I welcome it.
I welcome any progress/improvement of mIRC as a
text chat client, which is exactly what mIRC is. If he
were to maybe add webcam & voice chat as plugins, like
he did for SSL, well maybe that wouldn't be so bad because
even better than the ability to disable them, is the ability to
not
have them at all.

As far as skins/themes/smileys go, I've always liked that
mIRC has a clean looking GUI rather than cluttered up with a
bunch of unnecessary bs that adds nothing to the funcionality
but only to the looks, while bloating it with all the same
unnecessary bs. IMO these would only degrade mIRC
from a great text chat app to resemble something that was
developed for little kids.

#120763 24/05/05 04:21 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Ok, lets imagine you are in this examples below and what you will do:

1. You live in London and your parents in Brazil. What can you do about this? Use your lovely mIRC to see them. Why not MSN? No, you like mIRC not MSN.

2. You have a girlfriend in Brazil. What can you do? Chat with her in the mIRC and see her too. Great isnt?And the missing goes..

3. Your great friend from school that you dont see more than 10 years. Why not chat with him and look his family? And his little baby?

Oh webcam can be really awesome too, cant?
Yes, you are just "imagining" this but you can be surely that a lot of people in the world love this 3 examples and would be very pleased to use mIRC not MSN.

#120764 24/05/05 04:53 PM
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
Quote:
Webcam: I have yet to see a good reason why this shouldnt be implemented, it would only put IRC back on the map and i dont see how it would hurt anyone.

Why isn't webcam support integrated in my mail client? That's used for communication too! Why doesn't my telnet or ftp client have webcam support? Why my ftp client doesn't support gmail? Because the protocol that they are meant for (SMTP, telnet, FTP) doesn't include any support for it.

mIRC is an IRC client, a program to simplify using the IRC protocol. You can use telnet to chat too (you should try it one time) but you'd have to type a lot more, and read more garbage to follow a discussion. No scripting language either :s

Khaled doesn't control the IRC protocol, nor does anyone else ((un)fortunately?). This means he cannot just throw in a webcam and have it work for all irc networks/servers and other irc clients.

Is webcam support impossible using mIRC? Not really, some kind of dcc webcam, much like a dcc send or dcc chat needs no extra support from the protocol or the ircd's and could be implemented as a nice script. Some ctcp triggers and a dll to integrate with a (free/OSS) webcam program and you're set. If this script is moderately good, then those millions of webcam users you claim there are will know about it fast enough and probably use it.

Just for the record, I hope that you mean one-to-one webcam, not webcam sharing with entire channels via the ircd. IRC is on many networks still available and free because it doesn't consume that much bandwith. Receiving and sending 100.000 simultaneous webcam feeds around is not just impractical or more expensive, it's impossible...

So, as a conclusion, I'd maybe support some kind of video or overlay window support in mIRC, but webcam support is imho better placed in a script. Wether this script just provides a way to get an external (existing) webcam program to connect to users found on irc or uses some dll's to do it
itself doesn't really matter to me.

Also consider there are other irc clients and even different operating systems out there. If this webcam hype is to be included somehow, it would be best if there was some standard or (possibility for) working implementation for more than one irc client/OS combination...

Quote:
it wont be forced upon you at all you can always choose not to watch some1 pick his nose

Alas, you're probably (partly) wrong. Yes you can choose not to open webcam sessions with anyone, but yes it will be forced upon you. I foresee people just sending such webcam requests to anyone, either with 'hey wanna cyber' style stuff or with the actual requests 'H0tG1r| is attempting to initiate a private webcam session with you Accept Ignore' Yes you could probably just ignore or auto-deny them, but that's not the point...

ps: sorry for the long post :s

#120765 24/05/05 05:17 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Agreed. I'd say that if people really wanted to use webcams, they could write a DLL to use whatever software your webcam uses. Really, all you have to send to the webcam program from IRC is the IP information (dependant on your webcam software, of course). I don't think adding support through a DLL would be too difficult.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#120766 24/05/05 05:19 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Quote:
Why isn't webcam support integrated in my mail client? That's used for communication too! Why doesn't my telnet or ftp client have webcam support? Why my ftp client doesn't support gmail?

Because you dont need webcam in mail client.
Because you dont need webcam in ftp.
Because you dont need gmail in ftp.
And about webcam in a chat? Oh this is great. A lot of people already do this.

Quote:
Alas, you're probably (partly) wrong. Yes you can choose not to open webcam sessions with anyone, but yes it will be forced upon you. I foresee people just sending such webcam requests to anyone, either with 'hey wanna cyber' style stuff or with the actual requests 'H0tG1r| is attempting to initiate a private webcam session with you Accept Ignore' Yes you could probably just ignore or auto-deny them, but that's not the point...

No problem. Add an option: "Only accept webcam requests from: Notify, Nobody, Anybody.

#120767 24/05/05 05:30 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
And why not help these people and support this? A mIRC user that is using mIRC only for 2 days will need to learn mIRC Scripting and DLL to use his webcam in mIRC?

#120768 24/05/05 05:55 PM
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
A mIRC user that is using mIRC only for 2 days will need to learn mIRC Scripting and DLL to use his webcam in mIRC?

No. Didn't someone already mention ByteCam?

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
#120769 24/05/05 06:12 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Quote:
Quote:
A mIRC user that is using mIRC only for 2 days will need to learn mIRC Scripting and DLL to use his webcam in mIRC?

No. Didn't someone already mention ByteCam?

Yes. But isnt more easy support this and everybody can use or he will need to send this ByteCam one-by-one ?

#120770 24/05/05 06:20 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If someone WANTS to use webcam, they will get the script to use it. If they DON'T care about webcam, then they will not. It is that simple. You make it sound like having everyone get the script is a problem. It isn't. If someone wants to do webcam, they'll get it. Just because you want to use webcam doesn't mean everyone else has to have it as an option.

Sure, you can say that you have the script but can't use it since no one else has it. That isn't the fault of the script. That means that other people don't WANT to use webcam in mIRC. If they really wanted to use webcam in mIRC, they'd get that script.

Many people use only one IM client and not all of them. Sure, they could install all of them or use a multiple client like Trillian so they can talk to people on all clients. If they care about that, they will do so. If they don't care, then they'll only use teh client they like. It's really the same thing. If someone wants to do it, they will.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard