Print Thread
#120669 20/05/05 03:40 PM
O
orcberg Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
O
Okay, I am trying to something _extremely_ basic -- I'm trying to use the FindWindow() API to get the window handle for mIRC. Just seeing if I got the code right, I set up code that looks like this:

Code:
Public Class Form1
    Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

'API Functions
    Public Declare Auto Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long
    Public Declare Auto Function FindWindowEx Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowExA" (ByVal hWnd1 As Long, ByVal hWnd2 As Long, ByVal lpsz1 As String, ByVal lpsz2 As String) As Long

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim lhWnd As Long

lhWnd = FindWindow("mIRC", vbNullString)
        MsgBox(lhWnd)

End Sub
End Class

I have also tried
Code:
lhWnd = FindWindow(vbNullString, "mIRC")
to find the window handle by the exact caption. Regardless of what I do, I am constantly getting what seems to be a random 17-digit number. Every time I click the button, it's a different number. From what I understand, a window handle is not that long. Out of curiousity I entered a window caption that doesn't exist and got the same result.

I have referenced so many API writeups and _none_ of them seem to work right. I'm not sure what I'm omitting or doing wrong, but it has become extremely frustrating and I'm hoping someone can give me a hand smile

Ultimately, I want to write a program that will send text to a specific channel on mIRC. I'm nowhere near that though, because I'm still getting my ass kicked on the first step. :P Thanks.

#120670 21/05/05 08:07 AM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Hm,

i tried the same with:

Code:
procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
var
  Handle: THandle;
begin
  Handle := FindWindow('mIRC', nil);
  ShowMessage(IntToStr(Handle));
end;

and i always get the right handle, and if i switch 'mIRC' and "nil" then it doesnt show me random values, i just get 0, like i has to be. Mayb ur bug is on another place.

(Sorry for bad english wink)

#120671 21/05/05 01:23 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Both of your FindWindows give me the hwnd of the mIRC window.
If you can't get this working then maybe you could use EnumWindows() to enumerate through every window on the desktop and find the mIRC one.

New username: hixxy
#120672 21/05/05 03:35 PM
O
orcberg Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
O
Well I guess that's where I'm confused -- I'm not sure where else my bug can be, because that there is the entire code for the program (minus the normal windows form code that's inserted in there). The only other thing I can think of, am I possibly missing some Imports that I should be doing?

#120673 21/05/05 03:52 PM
O
orcberg Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
O
By the way, just tried the same code with another machine. Same problem. The entire code is this

Code:
Public Class Form1
    Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

#Region " Windows Form Designer generated code "
<<snip>>
#End Region

Public Declare Auto Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long
    Public Declare Auto Function FindWindowEx Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowExA" (ByVal hWnd1 As Long, ByVal hWnd2 As Long, ByVal lpsz1 As String, ByVal lpsz2 As String) As Long

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim lhWnd As Long
        lhWnd = FindWindow("mIRC", vbNullString)
        MsgBox(lhWnd)

End Sub

End Class

Last edited by orcberg; 21/05/05 03:52 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard