mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
I
iRP Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
I
I currently have a mIRC script that I am developing (iRC iRCĀ©) and it uses around 20,000k of memory. This is the highest in my list of apps under Task Manager when sorted as Memory Usage.

What do I think should be done before the next release?
I believe /echo is one of the highest used commands out of all of the other commands and needs to be fixed as well as others (maybe add the for function from the C language) to use less memory usage.

Where to Start?
Make better use of /echo's colour argument by incorporating the $strip function to take out text that shouldn't be coloured and just be plain text. Also, It'd be great to use the for function from the C langauge instead of the While function.

Good job Khaled for 140,100+ lines of source code!!!
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
20MB is nothing for a modern application to use. Probably half of all applications I'm running right now are using 20MB+.

The echo command itself isn't what's using memory (beyond the tiny amount used to actually run it for the split-second in which it's executed), the window buffer of the echoed text is what uses it up. Autmatically stripping unnecessarily coloured text would save probably about a miniscule 100 bytes of RAM for the average mIRC user, and would then prevent the ability for that peice of text to be copied and pasted correctly into another window which then removes the default colour applied by /echo's colour parameter.

As for using for loops instead of while, I see no way in which that would save any memory whatsoever. If you mean that for loops should just be added because they're 'better' than while loops, they don't provide any speed benefits over while loops and don't even look cleaner, so what's the point?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Yeah 20mb isn't bad, I have around the same here while
running a ton of scripts, on about 15 channels on 3 networks
while just this one IE window is sitting here doing nothing
at all at 30+ mb

Last edited by mIRCManiac; 30/04/05 12:55 AM.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
and don't even look cleaner

I disagree. I think compact code looks much nicer (not including code separated with '|') so i'd much rather see a for loop than a while loop.

Code:
for (var %i = 1, %i <= 20, inc %i) { echo -a %i }

New username: hixxy
I
iRP Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
I
Yea, I wonder if the reason I am lagged is because I have the windows split so it displays the status window on the bottom and current channel or query window on the top. And, I should of also mentioned I am running a 266mhz laptop which makes a 20mb program hard to be run with any additional program (like Winamp or Visual Studio).

Good job Khaled for 140,100+ lines of source code!!!
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Really?

Code:
var %i = 1
while (%i <= 20) {
  echo -a %i
  inc %i
}

[color:red]vs.[/color]

for (var %i = 1, %i <= 20, inc %i) { echo -a %i }

Doesn't seem any cleaner to me, just harder to scan over quickly. And that's not even taking into account that a comma couldn't be used for the separator character for basic syntax reasons. It'd probably have to look more like this:
Code:
for (var %i = 1 | %i <= 20 | inc %i) { echo -a %i }

which is exactly what you just said you didn't like...

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
The , was just an example.
I don't think using | in a for loop would be a big problem because a for loop barely never needs to be a huge line, unlike commands separated by |.

New username: hixxy
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
hmm my copy of 6.16 only uses 9,000k
my copy of 5.91 uses 9,700k (it has a few more remotes loaded)
my guess is that you have a lot of scripts loaded and maybe a lot of variables set.

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
i happen to use a toshiba tecra 550 cdt laptop with an intel pentium 266 mhz processor and 64mb of ram. my mIRC uses 4,944k in my task manager, and i run a boat load of scripts.. two of which happen to be socket related. a httpd and an ircd i have been designing. maybe its not the programs fault but maybe the coders fault? hehe. I also use my own dlls to "modify" the looks of mIRC which happen to be vb dlls using comopen and comclose. Yes i do have a more powerful machine, but this old, slow laptop is the way to go for mIRC scripting.. if you can make it run fast on a slow old laptop, imagine the performance on a much better one.

I
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I
my bot uses around 2-3K of memory, my mIRC uses around 5K with a song playing.

my bot has around 5 remotes loaded, 1 for ctcp, 1 for a core script which im still working on that incluses a few commands, 1 with 3 socket scripts in it, 1 for a !rec thing, and 1 for ns ghosting people when they connect to the network/change their nickname with a nickname i registered smile laugh

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
2 to 3 k eh? what you write it in assembler? Did you mean 2 to 3 meg ?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Lol! Reminds me of the old "demos" where you had to write a really interesting graphical/sound demo in 4k or 16k or 32k or whatever small amount the particular group wanted. They made some really awesome things back then in such little space. It's too bad those are not still done and are hard to find now. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
Hello,
Maybe it is time for you to start cleaning up your code...
My script contains all the normal addons for protection and stuff, a web server running in real time, plays mp3 and has a seen system with 100k of users loaded.
All in same mirc and only uses 15MB or Ram max, so i guess you must be loading lots of dlls or your are not cleaning your hashtables or something worst.

Or an easy option, you can also reduce the mirc window buffer from 5k to something less, maybe you have a bigger value than this uhmm?

Link Copied to Clipboard