mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#113949 10/03/05 12:16 PM
D
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
D
Recently there has been too many exploits on other chat programs such as msn and yahoo.

A group of friends were looking for a better way to communicate and the suggestion came up to try mIRC.

I am under the impression you use the same chat program that you connect to other servers to host and setup your own. I have looked in the help files that came with mirc ad i see no information on how to set up a server.

Can someone give me some information.

Thank you

#113950 10/03/05 12:46 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Setting up your own IRC server has nothing to do with mIRC, that's why you won't see any documentation about it.

A "real" IRC server is usually run on a *nix box. But if you want to just your own small server to support a few friends, you can try Windows ircd instead.. http://www.ircd.8m.com/ would be an example of a place to start looking.

If you want a piece of advice though, it's not really worth the trouble. Just look for a small IRC network and start your own channel there. Why would you need your own server? smile

Dana

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
#113951 10/03/05 06:16 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
To add to the good advice above, further info on finding/creating a channel/server can be found in this thread.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard