Print Thread
#110401 06/02/05 11:10 PM
I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
Hi,

I can't seem to find an answer to this problem anywhere, so hopefully someone here will know how to solve it.

For a while now, people using Java have complained that there is a "white box" around my text that makes the text difficult to read. I've figured out what the issue is but can't fix it.

On at least two scripts I've tried, there is no option to turn background colour off under text effects. And when black is selected, which makes the text appear normal (i.e. no background, just text) against the black screen to those using scripts, a white background appears to those on Java. The reverse is also true. When I select a white background on my script, everything looks normal on Java, but on my script, there is a glaring white background around my text.

I have no idea how to change this and it is really an eye sore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Indie xo

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I'm confused, you cant force your colors on any other user unless youre running a script that alters the text input to add a color code to your text. Now JAVA users depending on what JAVA client it is, wont see color codes in most cases ( at least i've never seen one that allowed color codes ). So in retrospect , if youre using mIRC with whatever background and whatever default normal text color it will NOT show to anyone but you.

I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
Thanks for the reply JAFO.

Java users on ACN can definitely see text effect colours chosen on scripts.

I don't know how or why, but that is the case.

Wish I could provide more information, but that's why I'm here, I guess.

Indie xo

E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
surely whats happening is when youre changing youre color or background preferences its also changing your overall display settings including texts...
blocks seen by others are nothing but font type which doesnt matches their installed fonts...
i used to have those blocks and question marks unless once i realised all those boxes disappeared after i installed almost all the fonts available in teh world
&#1700; <- this to me appears as arabic text i am sure to others it would seem different on their browsers..

my best bet is that you should set your font type to arial verdana or something which is installed in almost everyones pc so they wont be seeing any boxes

I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
Thank you, too, for your reply ElegantlyWasted. I'm very impressed with the quick responses!

I tried changing the font, and it seems that it doesn't change the way my text appears on Java. Sigh. I wish that were the answer.

It seems so strange that the text effect background colours should be reversed between the script and Java. Maybe I'll just scratch it up to an enigma, and see if there is another script I might use.

Thanks for your help. Happy chatting everyone...

Indie xo

E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
let us know if you get to know whats causing all this...

walk in light smile

I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
I definitely will let you know if I solve the mystery. Thanks again for trying smile

Indie xo

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Quote:
( at least i've never seen one that allowed color codes ).

i can think of at least one java applet that supports colours. on the everywherechat network. Both text colour can be viewed as well as background

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Quote:

blocks seen by others are nothing but font type which doesnt matches their installed fonts...

true. They are also mirc features not yet supported by the particular java client in question. For example, Bold may not be supported and will appear as a square, or asterix. Also things like Control-O which clears text back to normal wont necessarily be supported and may also have the appearance of a square/asterix.

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
why not try 99 as background colour which is the code for transparent, or no background.

Link Copied to Clipboard