Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
O
Hi everyone,

I keep downloading mirc from various links on the mirc.co.uk website, but everytime I scan them, my virus killer brings up this message:

data0001.bin is infected with a virus not a virus: RiskWare.mIRC.6.16

Then it fails to remove the RiskWare so then just deletes MIRC.

I did Email the Mirc team a while back about this, but never got a reply, and it seems they have done nothing about it.

If your going to make us all pay to use your software after 30 days, you could at least keep the software clean.

Time to find an alternative mirc program

I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Let me guess... Kaspersky? smirk

As it says, its "not a virus:"

J
Babel fish
Babel fish
J
My guess is that it's been marked as riskware by your av
software not because of mIRC itself, but because malicious
scripts & DLL's can be written for it .. there's nothing that
can be done on the part of mIRC to stop your av from
detecting it as riskware .. try emailing them instead.

O
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
O
I knew the virus protector would be blamed.

But!!!!!

How come I have never had this problem before with mirc, even up to the previous version of mirc 6.15.

Why should it all of a sudden detect riskware in version 6.16 and not 6.15

Anyway.... will stick with 6.15 as i not taking the risk on new version.

And yes, Kaspersky is my antivirus, and it better than all the other virus softwares i have bought.....

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Why have AV software if you'e not going to even read the messages it gives you? As someone has already pointed out, the AV software explicitly states that mIRC is not a virus, simply that it considers it 'riskware', ie. mIRC's scripting language can be (and often is) used to exploit people with so little common sense that they'll type in whatever people tell them to over IRC.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
You should rest assured that mIRC 6.16 is perfectly safe to use provided you practice safe behaviour and not do as described above (write anything you're told to).

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
as for why it starting considering mirc risk-ware with
the most recent version?
perhaps updates in your av.

The Kodokan will move you, one way or another.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
You can get a REAL virus when you check your emails with Internet Explorer, so why Kaspersky don't make InternetExplorer risk ware ? Because they sux! Just change your AV ;P

And.. If you ever ask how mIRC get virused when you visit some XXX site ? eh.. That is also internet explorer..

mIRC Chm Help 6.16.0.3 Full Anchored!
J
Babel fish
Babel fish
J
heh .. excellent point about ie & oe

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well IE is built around the Explorer shell, which is integral to Windows, so Windows is riskware too. Kapersky AV Personal editions only run on Windows, so it's very presence means the system must be at risk, therefore Kapserky is riskware too. It's a riskware bonanza!

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
all the more reason to go open source :P

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
a-squared or Stinger,
I think it was a-squared, identified one of my versions the same way, like it says "risk"ware.
I checked it out [in my case] and decided it was a false positive, depending on your opinion [or the scanners'] of using iRC servers or mIRC.
Imagine that, [some scripts, settings] mIRC, iRC, might be a risk! smirk

"ytytyt = a lamers' version of asdf"
I
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
I
Hi from a newbie

I too have just been puzzled by this issue. In my case, I'd set the av to 'block and delete' infected files - and yes, it is Kapersky I use !!!

As I'd forgotten I had the settings to delete and not inform, I installed MIRC, only to find the 'exe' file had disappeared when I went to the install dir !

It is a trap, seemingly for users of Kapersky, which I like as an av, not as much as NOD32 mind you.

Obviously, I've skipped the deletion and all is well, as well as setting the av to 'block and inform user.

Y
Yad Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Y
i made a post about this awhile ago and also posted a solution:

Open Kasperskys main window
Click the Settings tab
Click Configure Updater
And on the Update type dropdown box select "from Internet, standard bases"
Then click OK
Shutdown Kaspersky then fire it up again and all should be well smile

NOTE: Doing this will mean Kaspersky will no longer search for spyware and riskware etc which in a way is a good thing because its an anti-virus and i personally dont like my virus scan been slowed down because its looking for spyware too. If this leaves you screwed over for detecting spyware download Lavasofts Ad-Aware or maybe give Microsofts Anti-Spyware BETA a try and i also recommend using Javacools Spyware Blaster along side either one of these.

Phew! happy chatting smile

Last edited by Yad; 08/02/05 08:05 PM.
G
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
G
Am I the only one who thinks its absolutely ridiculous to call something "riskware"?

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Nope. :tongue:

Just about everything could be classed as "riskware" in the hands of somebody that doesn't know how to use it, or somebody that does everything they're told to.

New username: hixxy
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Quote:
Nope. :tongue:

Just about everything could be classed as "riskware" in the hands of somebody that doesn't know how to use it, or somebody that does everything they're told to.

lol,... this reminds me of a channel topic I once got suckered into following.

"For instant ops in #whateverchannel press Alt-F4"

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
sounds like the definition of 'riskware' is anything that isn't totally retard-proof, and the antivirus company thinks their customers are all morons laugh
hmm reminds me of another certain software company actually, like to make really big bloated menus and buttons, explanations for the simplest things, annoying animated characters hounding you whenever possible.. oh yeah, I think you know the one... *grin*

btw has anyone else noticed that there is no way to uninstall flash or shockwave normally?
Google "uninstall flash" or "uninstall shockwave" and you can find programs from macromedia's official site to uninstall them but other than that it's embedded in your computer and you can't get it out.. links to those uninstall programs are quite well hidden on their website if you're looking through by normal means

I removed flash and shockwave and the number of advertisements on websites went down a lot! I now almost never see any ads, firefox is set up to block images from most adserving sites (you just right click on any image and click "Block images from <server>" and poof all images from that adserver site are never shown again) and there I never get any animated corporate branding with sound and such flying around my screen, it's great! all those "ad-removing" programs are nothing compared to this, no need to pay for anything like that.

I installed flash+adwave both on internet explorer for when I absolutely need to use it (shame on you web developers that make sites flash-accessible only..)

just something I thought was cool, and I didn't appreciate the underhand way macromedia make it hard for people to remove their software.. Well, a lot of advertisers pay an awful lot of money for use of their software, it would be bad to get eyes away from ads wouldn't it hmm...

P
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
P
i also have the same problem with mirc being labeled "riskware", this time by the A2 Free Trojan and malware scanner! microsoft antispyware doesn't detect it, nor ad-aware.

this is very annoying. what on earth would make mirc remotely be called "riskware" frown i've been using mirc for years, and never had a moments problem with it.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Anything could be classed as riskware when an inexperienced user uses it, so that label is stupid.

New username: hixxy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard