mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Quote:
because mIRC doesn't let you configure the username. It simply uses your nickname for the username.

Huh??

Welcome to the Axenet IRC Network MonoSex!~blah@******

Why my username is 'blah' and not MonoSex? :tongue:
mIRC gets username from email address in connect dialog, part before @.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Only if "Use ID from email address" is checked.

T
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
T
current implementations of ident are totally irrelevant. We all know it. It makes little difference if you set the ident or the ident from email address.

Most common use of ident by an ircd is a very simple proxy block as most proxies will not reply to ident requests. The hocus pockus with name/ident can be left out of this discussion as it benefits no security features and this is what I'd like this to concentrate on.

No matter how many smokes and mirrors are used in the end the ident protocol's intention was to IDENTIFY.

I quote from the RFC931 (ident rfc)
"The Authentication Server Protocol provides a means to determine the identity of a user of a particular TCP connection. Given a TCP port number pair, it returns a character string which identifies the owner of that connection on the server's system. Suggested uses include
automatic identification and verification of a user during an FTP session, additional verification of a TAC dial up user, and access verification for a generalized network file server."

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
An ident, any ident, will only be useful for identifying someone if they choose to let it. Obviously anyone who's looking to dodge a ban won't choose this and attempting to force the ident on them will make no difference whatsoever. It doesn't require a genius to stop the ident, and within an hour of release of something like this there would be a dozen webpages dedicated to telling people how to do it if they didn't already know. Anything on the client's end is ultimately controllable only by one person - the client.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
T
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
T
You are absolutely right, as I said it would not stop every problem but it stop many.

Consider this option.
mIRC assigns and ident of "F7C46543" and appends the same value at the end of the FULLNAME (non-editable).
If you have a real problem user, who is just abusinve but not technically savvy this could be easily used to verify the person as his WHOIS details would return contradicting values.

I'm not suggesting this is the solution but it could be, as it stands now ident is so irrelevant that any improvement on it becomes a major improvement.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok correct me if im wrong but when u use a socket connect u just fill in whatever info u want to be sent dont u??? i mean where do u get this non editable field ur proposing???
and more for that matter why is this even being discussed when someone with as little intelligence as me is asking how to get around this unedible field in a socket connection where the user simply puts what ever they want to in it??? its not a security feature ur suggesting ..... is a feature with absolutly no sense whatsoever to it of course thats just my opinion ...... but like i said if im wrong then hell i just learned something..... if not well u know

D3m0nnet.com
T
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
T
we are talking mIRC here, not other clients or telnet connections. It is very easy for mIRC to append such value beyond your control when it sends USER data.

Say your fullname reads "D3m0n rox" and say assigned ident would be some value T74B7F503
mIRC would send USER data would look like this:
USER T74B7F503 "yourisp.net" "irc.some.org" laugh3m0n rox T74B7F503
If there was an ident request later on the same value of T74B7F503 would be sent by mIRC.

This is not aimed at you in particular, but how about the next reply in this threat concentrates on ideas on how to improve the security and not on "this would not work".

It can all stay as it is, and there will be more drones, more floods, more abuse.
It can all stay as it is, and "educated" reccomendations on this very forum will be for users to disable firewalls cos they don't know how to configure it for ident replies.
It can all stay as it is, there is nothing that can be done.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
threat?? u say that as if im threatening ur intelligence and as i clearly said if im wrong so be it ...... but what ur not seeing is where i said a "soccket connection" that is clearly a mirc capability .......and i may not be as all knowing of mirc scripting as most of u ...... but i think i have a general idea of how things work ....... im not insulting ur intelligence as u clearly have me beat in mirc scripting abilites ....... but what ur suggesting is so easily gotten around that its not even worth mentioning ...... thats like suggesting khaled forces a specific nick upon u and doesnt let u edit the connection dialog box ...... but if u simply type in:
/server irc.server.name 6667 mypass -i mynick myalternatenick myemail myname

u will be connected under any name u want

FROM HELP FILE:
/server [-mnsar] <server/groupname> [port] [password] [-i nick anick email name] [-j #channel pass]
Connects you to a server, first disconnecting you from the current server.

ok i know thats not the case in ur suggestion , but with a socket connect isnt all ur connection info then sent by u and u make it all up yourself ..... so how can u suggest an uneditable field??? it would require rewritting mirc to take control of the script out of the users hands ....... something i for one wouldnt aggree with ....... even if i know nothing about scripting.

again dont take this as a personal attack on ur intelligence and or ability its my opinion to think what ur suggesting is completely useless and completely not what id want in my mirc

D3m0nnet.com
T
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
T
LOL, i cannot spell "thread". My apologies if that was taken wrong way. it was an honest mistake.

T
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
T
/server command is translated to a set number of commands that IRC protocol understands. Type /debug @debug
then type in your /server command and see how it works.
/debug off to stop it.

It would be possible for mIRC internal works to append stuff to USER command that is sends. And again as I said this is only AN idea. If you can trhink of better I'd be glad to read about it.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
You can even stop mIRC from sending it's connection data by using on LOGON event wink

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
well exactly what is it u think any idea will prevent??? i mean if ur asking me a way to solve all this ddos from warbots and all this well ur asking the wrong person ...... i didnt actually invent the internet just know the guy who did ...... LMFAO .
seriously there is no way u can implement any idea at this point that will work in all or any scenario ...... just cant be done in my opinion ...... unless of course some of these lil kids parents start keeping em off the damn internet unsupervised letting them wreak havoc whenever they have a temper tantrun ove some issue ....... its like having a brand new paintjob on a car ..... u cant stop someone from keying the damn thing if u dont sit there and watch ur car 24/7

in essance if u allow any user to connect to something then ur asking to accept traffic from all of the lowlifes in the world as well as the quality ppl....... its just the way it is

D3m0nnet.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard