mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
I was looking at Trillian 3.0 build 967 and noticed that it allows right click access to logs for active channel or message windows. I think this is more convenient than having to /part an active channel in order to check it's log in mIRC. It's a feature I'd like to see added one click away from the active window, or at least have the option to open active channel logs from within mIRC options. It's nice to be able to reference old conversations on the fly when one or the other party is trying to remember a previous mention that's no longer in buffer (due to a disconnect, reboot, etc) without having to close the active window again to retrieve it among mixed log files.

I'd also like to be able to play .doc files with /play. It's not a big hardship to cut text out of a .doc manually and put it in a .txt file, unless you end up doing it a few hundred times. I use a /play script that opens a Windows nav box to reach the .txt file and prompts me for a delay speed to play it at. /play doesn't know how to interpret line breaks without a blank character or some other place-holder inserted. When I want to retain the formatting for something to /play to channel I end up cutting text out of a .doc, pasting it into a .txt, correcting the formatting, inserting placeholders, and saving, before I ever get to the script. Then I test it in a hastily formed channel to see if it's looks legible. That's a lot of steps that could be done away with if mirc could strip their text somehow. Given that it's a text medium and a Windows app it would be nice for it to import .docs, or whatever text format, even if it just pops the file up a relative mess for a user to edit prior to playing, with some option to save as .txt in the mirc folder after that edit, so it can be recalled with a simple "/play filename.txt 1500". Line break handling without place-holders would also be nice.

I did a search through the forum prior to posting this. If it's a duplicate entry or already documented as a feature apologies in advance. There were many hits and none seemed to deal with this specifically according to their subject line, but I might have missed one. I'm not a programmer. I don't know the difficulty of any of this. These are just things that stick out as annoyances I've come across numerous times in the way that I use mIRC. If Trillian can handle opening active logs I assume mIRC can too. If .docs can run cleanly through /play that would save a lot of nuisance in editing.

Thanks to anyone pointing to previous posts or offsite links that refer to this topic.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Why do you need to close the active window to access a log file? You can access them through ALT+O > IRC > Logging > [View Logs].

Alternatively, type //run $logdir and find the file there, double click, and open.

True to say that the file won't update on-screen whilst the file is open, but you can access it whilst the channel window/query window is open - unless a script is preventing it.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
Am I going mad? I know I've been locked out of active logs before with mIRC. I haven't had 6.16 for long. Maybe it was something with a previous version, or something when they hit a certain size? Eff if I know. Anyway it works now, so great. Thanks for the response.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Quote:
Alternatively, type //run $logdir and find the file there, double click, and open.

Or press the 'Log Files' button on the toolbar.
Or go to Tools > Log Files in the menubar.

H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
Quote:
Am I going mad? I know I've been locked out of active logs before with mIRC.

It's possible that you had the log files locked -- there's a checkbox for that in that same logging options page.

If I knew now what I will know then... maybe things will have been different...

Link Copied to Clipboard