Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10667 11/02/03 05:26 PM
R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
Since another user posted this as well, I've created a petition for adding UTF-8 support in mIRC:

http://www.petitiononline.com/utf8/petition.html

If you don't know what UTF-8 is, have a look at www.unicode.org.

#10668 11/02/03 07:59 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I want to know why it was necessary to 'force' this on us. If this petition has already been posted here then isn't once enough?

#10669 11/02/03 10:10 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
peitition a program designer to write into HIS program something that U want???? ...... thats complete BS ..... tryin to force an individual to put something into his creation something that u want is not only arrogant of u to assume its also the stupidest thing ive seem yet ...... asking someone to implement something into a program is a fine idea ...... when told no and then going out to sign a petetion on the idea is just the worst thing ive ever seen ....... do u think mirc is a government???? and that khaled has to listen to u or else ull vote him out???? since neither is the case it would seem logical to state ur idea/OPINION and be about ur business ..... or if ur truly not satisfied with mirc make ur own program and add every lil thing u want in there ....... trying to force this on ppl is just wrong

D3m0nnet.com
#10670 11/02/03 10:13 PM
R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
First of all I'm not so stupid as to take advice from 11-year-olds who can't write in proper English.

Second, what I do or don't do is my choice and mine alone, it's got nothing to do with you.

It's anyone's choice to sign or not sign the petition, and ask Khaled to add UTF-8 support (Preferably as default).

#10671 11/02/03 10:14 PM
R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
Noone said anything about forcing.

As for the other posting, that did not concern this petition, it was a request for UTF-8 support made by another user.

#10672 11/02/03 10:18 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
look moron lets not start throwing insults out at ppl first off u know nothing about me and who i am ...... nor am i 11 yrs old ...... ive got kids that old u dolt ......... secondly if u dont like my opinion thats fine ....... but why attack on a personal level ........ u dont like being told NO ........ grow up alil ..... its part of life to be told no ........ as for anything else uve spewed outta ur pie hole ........ lets just say it aint worth my time ...... ty and have a day u truly deserve

D3m0nnet.com
#10673 11/02/03 10:23 PM
P
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
P
I truly adit, that multiple encoding support, is a great idea, and should not be left at UTF-8, even though it suports yada yada yada.

However, the idea of a petition is truly *h*t idea. Look at the government, do they take any notice?

Why the hell do you expect a software creator to include such support, from a few names?

If we are at a stage, where you think that a petition is going to do any good, why don't we all just petition to have the software made freeware.

What is most sad, is that most ople that make requests for features (and then expect god to thump the developer to force it in), don't pay for the software. Though I aint saying this is you, and it applies to all shareware, and not just mIRC.

Suck it, lick it, milk it then put it away.
#10674 12/02/03 12:03 AM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
Hmmmm

From what I gathered petition “is a supplication or request”, normally I don’t see anything wrong with a petition to show how many people out there are interested in something but the manner which used to publish the petition was at fault here.

Personally I’d just make a mIRC script with Encrypt/Decrypt capabilities for you and your clan… Hmm Actually that’s good idea perhaps when I get back into IRC’n like I was 3-4 years ago perhaps I’ll make one for me and my clan(S)... heh wink

Kn0wledge Is Thee P0wer!!!!
#10675 12/02/03 01:48 AM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Quote:
.."a petition to show how many people out there are interested in something"..

That would actually be a "poll".
A petition is a formal written request addressed to an official person, or to an organized body.
wink

#10676 12/02/03 02:13 AM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
Yea that’s correct, but what I had quoted in my post you in reference too was that of which contained in my “small” Dictionary, wasn’t specific enough. :tongue:

#10677 12/02/03 02:31 AM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Not really, I did notice, and purposefully not mention, the first (correct) use. It was only the second, and incorrect, instance I was referring to, humourously I might add (note the wink?). smile

However, seeing as I am posting in this thread again:
IMO, petitoning Khaled for a certain feature is akin to demanding that feature be added, while a simple post here in the 'Feature Suggestions' section of this board would be a request.

#10678 12/02/03 02:53 AM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
Nimue thanks for defining and now I must say you are very mistaking as I had said “normally I don’t see anything wrong with a petition (“is a supplication or request”) to show how many people out there are interested in something”. I’m not defining the petition there I was explaining how beneficial it could be when used in proper manner.

Perhaps you shouldn’t try to correct people if you going to assume people are defining all throughout the sentences. wink

#10679 12/02/03 11:16 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
First of all, you DID indeed post your petition/poll three times on this msg board. There really is no need for that and i deleted the others.

Second,to everyone who posts on this board: there is no need for anyone to resort to name calling and insults. Everyone is entitled to post their opinion of a suggestion, but do it with common courtesy please.

Third: anyone reading your post is free to add their opinion/desire to have this feature or any other added/not added. Khaled DOES read these you know.

If it were me, i would put more credence in the comments made here on this msg board which would give pros and cons, along with specific reasons, than on a "petition" where i would have no idea if the ppl "signing" even existed or understood the issue.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#10680 12/02/03 11:16 AM
R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
To all those petition skeptics out there, look, I'm not trying to FORCE Khaled into adding UTF-8 support, nor do I want to FORCE users to use UTF-8. (Although arguably, they are being forced into using either ISO or SJIS or whatever encoding their system uses today.)

What I want to do is to tell Khaled "These people are interested in that feature" in a coordinated and polite way, instead of bugging him with emails that he probably won't reply to for months.

Second, to those of you who actually use only ENGLISH on IRC this shouldn't even matter. You will, however, stop seeing garbage characters whenever someone speaks Japanese, Chinese, or any other language that isn't part of the iso-8859-1 specification.

Thanks for showing an interest. smile

Oh and sorry for posting the petition in General Discussion. As for namecalling, I was trying to point out how a certain user on the board actually "copied" the opinion of the user before him and replied as if I'm actually trying to harm mIRC in some way. But for my part, the discussion is over, I hope people like UTF-8 and want it implemented smile

Last edited by Rounin; 12/02/03 11:20 AM.
#10681 12/02/03 02:02 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Support for UTF-8 is on my to-do list. I haven't a chance to look into it yet though, will definitely be doing so at some point.

#10682 12/02/03 02:04 PM
R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
Wow, that's great! If you don't mind, I'll be keeping the petition up anyway, just to see how many users are interested. Besides, it's actually for UTF-8 as a DEFAULT encoding... Quite a radical change for Asian users I suppose.

#10683 12/02/03 11:12 PM
K
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
K
Pardon my dumbness, but would this UTF-8 change how my mirc looks? i mean would it change my text charecters and stuff like that? I LIKE the way my mirc is now, if i see charecters i dont mirc cant read and it throws up a bunch of gobble dee book, then i probably dont wanna be reading that language anyway. by all means include it ( not like we could acutally stop big K any way huh? smile ) but dont make it default....make it a chek box like multibyte charectors and ansi codes and sjis/jis conversion is now.

keek: Scots - intr.v. keeked, keek·ing, keeks
To peek; peep.
#10684 13/02/03 12:53 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Wow, that's great! If you don't mind, I'll be keeping the petition up anyway, just to see how many users are interested.

I'd say that since the issue is on the drawing board then this is a sign it has much interest. grin

#10685 13/02/03 02:26 PM
R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
I'm glad you ask.

Actually for English-speaking users it won't change anything. Since all the ASCII codes for English characters are implemented in UTF-8 directly, everything will remain just the same, except you'll notice that weird alphabets like Chinese, Japanese and Arabic suddenly start working instead of showing up like garbage. So even weird messages in languages you don't understand won't be so )()"!)"=#( annoying anymore.

This is the only change, and it's also a positive one IMO. =D

#10686 19/02/03 11:30 PM
A
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
A
This is actually more of a question to Rounin... I was under the impression that using UTF-8 would change how ascii characters looked simply because you would have to change to a font that supported UTF-8 (say Arial Unicode MS?) and that would change the way characters looked. There's also the fact that users would have to have a full UTF-8 compatible font installed (Arial Unicode MS is 23MB) and using such a font consumes more system resources.
Please correct me if any of that is wrong.

Let me say that I'm all for mIRC supporting UTF-8, It's a royal pain to switch between languages in several of the different channels that I idle in. It also makes a certain channel where multiple languages are spoken virtually impossible to follow. However, if I am correct in the above assumptions, I think it would be a very bad to have mIRC default to UTF-8 (or at least default to require using a full UTF-8 compatible font).

I've tried both X-Chat and Chatzilla which support UTF-8, but neither one has the features of mIRC. So what's the end result, X-Chat for the multilanguage channel, mIRC for everything else.

========================================
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard