Print Thread
#103257 18/11/04 01:06 PM
R
rasher Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Cant find answer in FAQ so hoping you can help. If i want to set up my own channel which is permanent, does it have to be bought or, the fact that i use a name for it that no one else will use, will this suffice? does it always stay on there or do i have to open it whenever i go on irc? when i leave, it disappears. Advice will be appreciated !!!

#103258 18/11/04 01:12 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You just /join #channel .. if it's empty its yours, some networks have channel servecis, and then you can register the channel in that, but many dont suport this, then the only was is to have a bot holding the channel for you, and bot shells cost money, so the answer is no, it dont cost to have a channel.. it maybe cost to keep it "alive" while you are offline, cos you need somthing or somone idle on it while your offline.. so i guess the best way to hold a channel is to ask a friend that have 24/7 connection to idle on it, then it wont cost you anything..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#103259 18/11/04 02:29 PM
R
rasher Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
thanks, answers my question.

#103260 23/11/04 12:01 PM
R
rasher Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
How much does a permanent channel cost? how do you go about it getting one?

#103261 23/11/04 09:50 PM
V
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
V
antbody know how to get on different channels?

#103262 23/11/04 09:52 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
rasher: See this sticky for information on making your own channel. Channels are free to create and register.

Valerie: You can also see the above thread to see how to find channels. If however, the information there is not what you were after, feel free to elaborate on your question smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#103263 23/11/04 09:54 PM
V
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
V
how do i get to ice box or west hazleton?

#103264 23/11/04 10:01 PM
V
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
V
im more confused than eva

#103265 23/11/04 10:09 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Sorry, but I don't know what 'Ice Box' or 'West Hazleton' is. Remember that millions of people use IRC, if you're naming something specific, not everyone is going to know what you're on about.

Remember though (to help limit confusion):
- mIRC is a chat program
- IRC is the protocol mIRC connects you to
- There are many different IRC networks. We don't know about all of them.
- There are even more channels that sit on those networks. We don't know about any of them, and they are controlled by their individual owners.

Also remember you must be specific about what you want when asking a question! You're not the only person to have found getting going on IRC to be confusing, you're not alone. Make sure you read th How To Install guide as it also has instructions about connecting. Also, type /ircintro when you're in mIRC.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#103266 23/11/04 11:14 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Not to worry, new stuff is only confusing at first. You can go to http://searchirc.com/ and search for a list of channels. It will list channels by the name you search for and tell you what network they are on. Altho many networks could have channels by the same name, they are each different and generally run by different people. If someone suggests you go to their channel, you need to ask them what network their's is on.

If you see a channel you want to try on that website search, click on the tab that says IRC Networks and look for the one that channel is on. For example, there is a #icebox on Undernet. Going to Undernet on that website, click on server list. Pick one of those and in mIRC, type it in your main mIRC window. like: /server Atlanta.GA.US.Undernet.org Be sure to include the / since that tells mIRC its a command. Once you are connected to Undernet, type /join #icebox

Note that there are other ways to do this, but i dont want to add to your confusion. Trust me, you'll feel like an old hand at IRC in no time at all smile

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard