Print Thread
#103033 15/11/04 09:45 AM
_
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
_
Hello

Instead of reading the readme file again and again ( trust me, I know that it can be very frustrating to always see the /help section or join a #help channel on a big network for guidelines) then it would be great if Khaled could code a little tutor "wizzard" that will explain a,b,c of mirc and the irc world. I think this would make things alot easier for a beginner to learn new stuff on their own instead of joining a help channel and asking questions like (how do I register my channel/nickname or how does mirc scripting works). I have met alot of beginners asking very basic stuff, they´re just to lazy to read the help section...

Your question might be:
Why do we need a tutor wizzard if we already have a readme file? Well my answer on that question is: The key to knowledge is that it must be fun to learn new things. Think about school, "if you dont find school fun and interesting then
why do you go to the school?"

Regards/Pat

*!*@help.me.if.you.can
#103034 15/11/04 09:55 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Adding some sort of wizard to mIRC would by far increase its hard disk requirements, and increase downloading time and server bandwidth.

Also, if 'newbies' are too lazy to read, that isn't really Khaleds fault, learning is suppose to be fun, yes, in a school enviroment, nobody asked people to learn mIRC scripting, people do so to expand mIRCs abilities.

Also, having a wizard to answer questions like 'How do i register my nickname/channel' isn't really Khaleds problem, he created an IRC Client, not IRC Services, which is why these forums also don't promote IRC/Network related questions.

Furthermore, It would be impossible to answer the question exactly, as sometimes, its /msg Q or another letter, othertimes its /nickserv, or /msg nickserv (because the server doesnt support /nickserv), or /msg nickserv@services.dal.net (because dalnet doesnt support /msg nickserv), the possibilities are infinite (give or take).

Eamonn.

#103035 15/11/04 07:13 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
Think about school, "if you dont find school fun and interesting then why do you go to the school?"

- To learn.

Type /ircintro into mIRC to get a help file (ooh look! colours!) which gives all the basics of IRC. I don't see how any wizard would make it more interesting than that.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#103036 15/11/04 09:18 PM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
The size difference wouldn't be noticablely bigger, and as for downloading it, I think you can wait a few more seconds for mIRC. And many new people don't understand the help file because it is confusing unless you have had a lot of practice with it.

#103037 15/11/04 11:19 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
How is a wizard going to be any more helpful? What would be different? So we get a talking paperclip telling us "Connecting to an IRC server is the first step to chatting on IRC..." instead of reading the first sections in the help file contents or the IRC Intro help file? Great.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#103038 16/11/04 02:18 AM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
I never said it was a good idea, I just said the increased size isn't/wasn't/will ever be an issue.

#103039 16/11/04 10:57 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I was under the impression you were talking about video style tutorials, perhaps my mistake, in which case it would have been approximately 1mb for every 1min video, not including interactive menus ect.

And, if you were discussing 'spoken tutorials', there isn't really much difference between the irc intro provided and it being spoken to you, in addition not all PCs come with text-to-speech software which would need to be included with the install file, an extra 8 - 10mb depending on settings.

Eamonn.

#103040 24/11/04 12:12 PM
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
Quote:
How is a wizard going to be any more helpful? What would be different? So we get a talking paperclip telling us "Connecting to an IRC server is the first step to chatting on IRC..." instead of reading the first sections in the help file contents or the IRC Intro help file? Great.

A wizard would be useful.
It could ask you alot of questions, and fill in alot of defaults for you to get you started.
eg:

on 1:start: { do this }
on 1:LOAD: { do this }
on 1:connect: { do this }
on 1:quit: { do this }
on 1:TEXT:*:?: { do this }
on 1:NOTICE:*:?: { do this }
on 1:OPEN:=: { do this }
menu Channel,Status,Query,Menubar,nicklist { do this }
ctcp *:VERSION:?: { .ctcpreply $nick VERSION blah }

and a basic dialog, etc etc..

Or maybe a template might suffice.
It would barely make the mirc d/l any bigger, and with todays d/l speeds, nobody gives a rats ass if it takes an extra 5 secs.

Ive written dozens of very large scripts over the last 3 years, and id still find it handy to use a wizard.
Currently, im copy/pasting code from existing scripts, because its a pain to keep looking it up with /help all the time.

Link Copied to Clipboard