mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#102122 05/11/04 12:27 AM
V
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
V
I was talking to one of my dads friends and he said that thier is a way of d/l music off IRC. If thier is can you guys tell me what the commands are and how to do it.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
no, its illegal

M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Quote:
no, its illegal

that depends what country you live in, it is currently not illegal until july 1st (or mabe june 1st) 2005 here in sweden, it is however illegal to distribute copyright files.

-edit-

Last edited by Mentality; 05/11/04 07:25 PM.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
What he means is that this forum, although international, does not help with things considered to be illegal. Downloading copyrighted material is considered to be such. And even if it is not, someone has to share the material, and then he will be doing illegal things, which brings us back toi the not helping part.

Please familiarize yourself with forum rules and guidelines.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
funny thing is, the original poster said nothing in his post relating to either downloading copyrighted material or advocating piracy.

There are a number of bands out there that openly offer their music for free in a number of places on the internet for download. This is very legal and an excellent marketing avenue.

It's too bad that the minute someone posts questions about downloading music or shareware, everyone's initial reaction is negative.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This discussion has occurred dozens of times before.

Read the post Danthemandoo linked to - it doesn't just mention illegalities, but a few other reasons why we don't help with it. Furthermore, through experience, myself (and several others) know not to be so naive as to think that when people want to download "music" they are talking about the example you gave - they are talking about Usher's latest release, or whatever. Benefit of the doubt is given where appropriate. We have to use our personal judgement though, because nobody is going to say "How do I download illegal music that I should buy in shops, that might infect me with a virus" smile

Should we get it wrong (which has happened only 2-3 times in the past), the person will reply telling us exactly what they want, and they will be helped further. 90% of the time though, there's no reply, or they thank us for informing them of the actual purpose of mIRC/IRC.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard