mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#101973 03/11/04 03:49 AM
I
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
I
I read that win xp has a bug that crashes mirc. when will microsft fix this bug. life without mirc is so frustrating.

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
are you talking about the dns bug?

I
OP Offline
I
i m not familiar with techincal terms but i beleives its the dns thing. mirc crashes while downloading thru dcc. i got an error about dccman.exe something.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
now, i might be wrong so forgive me if i am, but dccman.exe sounds VERY suspicious. Sound like one of those stupid so called "dcc accelerators" people try and send u which are actually viruses/trojans/self replicating scripts.

I've only just woken up so i can barely see to do any research on it, but i'd suggest removal of dccman.exe personally. If its in the mIRC dir, definatly delete it, otherwise do some research on it 1st.

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
yep yep, i agree with you

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
A quick search for 'dccman.exe' on google lead me to a lot of links discussing viruses/trojans.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Being sent a virus or trojan is not a bug in mIRC, it's just something you need to take very simple measures to prevent. Not accepting DCCs from people you don't know is the first step (IF you're using mIRC as a file trading program, then that's one good way to be infected). Having a good virus/trojan scanner running in the background is another.

There are lots of resources in this thread, using more than one is important as no ONE virus scanner can detect everything.

The 'dns thing' is explained here if you're interested, but that is not what you are describing.

There was a DCC exploit in mIRC awhile back. It doesn't have anything to do with Windows/Microsoft, if you use the latest version of mIRC then you cannot be affected by it. This does NOT protect you from viruses or any .exe files.

If you have 'auto get' enabled in DCC options then disable it. Type /sreq ask so mIRC always asks when you want to accept a file from someone.

Hope this clears some things up smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
I
OP Offline
I
i uninstalled sp 2. and i got norton anitvirus 2005 which scans for worms too. also disabling auto get in mirc. will let u guyz know if it helps.

I
OP Offline
I
hi guyz,
mirc 6.16 is stable with win xp sp1.
although i have my dcc auto-get off.
i have norton 2005 which protects from worms too and i think some1 was trying to access my computer since i got an elert and i blocked it.

the xdccman.exe which i had mentioned earlier was some free game channel which came along the logitechs cd. i uninstalled it. i no longer get that error.

the next thing for me to try enable auto get and see if its stable. thanks.

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
I wouldnt enable auto get unless you have it restricted to a list of ips or something

A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
The dccman.exe was your problem, nothing else. You got it removed, now everything will work fine until you enable auto-get and install everything everyone sends you. Just watch out or you'll get another virus/trojan/worm...

I
OP Offline
I
sorry mirc still crashed with auto get off.
i m trying a different script now.
its random crash.cant predict when it happens.

A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
Are you playing any mp3s with your mIRC? It can be codec related as I have some problems with it (I just can't figure out how mIRC can crash because WMP can play the mp3 with no problem).
So you're using a script, maybe a dll makes it crash ?

Try installing a fresh version of mIRC, and use only the mIRC, without any addons or scripts, I think it won't crash.

I
OP Offline
I
hi guyz,
it seemed that win xp used its own driver for my network card which caused crash on heavy traffic. I have updated my drivers and one night has passed without crashing.
hope this solves my problem. will keep an eye for a week and give a final update. thanks for suggestions.

I
OP Offline
I
hi guyz,
heres the final deal about my computer.

I installed a third party driver for my ethernet card. I have FA 311 netgear which has some issues with win xp.

Also I disabled "automatic liveupdate" on norton 2005.

With these settings, the computer hasnt crashed..touchwood.
i hope this information is useful to ppl out there.

Link Copied to Clipboard