Print Thread
#101623 26/10/04 06:21 PM
D
dmmrs Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
I have been looking for a site that will explain to me how to go about geting info (id2 or id3 tags) from a song currently playing in winamp. I don't want to use an addon, I have been using a few for a while, but now I want to script my own. I suspect I am undertaking a huge task, but all the same, I can script to a fair degree I believe, so I would like to try this.

I don't just want:

/me is listening to: Filename

or

/me is listening to: Artist - Song Name

I would like to be able to customize to my hearts content, so I need to know what identifiers if any are used for each id3 tag, ie album, artist, title, length, bitrate, etc etc.

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated, even if its pointing me to a website that at least starts me in the right direction.

I repeat though, i AM NOT lookng for just an addon; I want to script it myself.

Thanks in advance.

i script, therefore i am smirk
theres logic in there somewhere...
#101624 26/10/04 06:30 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
As far as I know, you need to know COM and have a DLL. See Hammer's excellent post for lots of information. There is also a guide to COM objects here.

I would assume you're okay with using a 3rd party DLL? They are not written in mIRC script, so you might want to consider it wink

Of course, you could also look at the addons you've downloaded and see how they are coded. Ripping them would be a different issue of course, but getting ideas and seeing what other authors have done is a good way to learn, even if the code isn't commented.

That's pretty much as far as my knowledge goes with winamp stuff, I don't use it, nor do I have a desire to!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#101625 26/10/04 07:09 PM
B
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
B
If you wantd to, you could just get an mp3 script, which will show the artist/song/length etc on the channels you are on. If this interests you, let me know.

#101626 26/10/04 07:49 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
He specifically stated he wanted to script it himself and not use a 3rd party mp3 script.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#101627 26/10/04 08:10 PM
B
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
B
I never said I had a script for him to use. I was just curious as to if he was going to write a mp3 script. Maybe I just wrote my statement wrong.

#101628 27/10/04 09:03 AM
D
dmmrs Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
"if you wanted to you could just get an mp3 script"

To me, that insinuates that I could just get a script or an addon, to do all this for me. I know I could do that, I have succesfully been using Sysreset's own Winamp Scanner addon for about a year, and I can customise it, but only through the main dialog box for the addon itself. Without trawling through a million (lol, maybe an exageration) lines of code, I can't work out what bit does what.

Besides, don't you think it's nicer to have addons and/or scripts that you have coded yourself?

For example, I use Sysreset, BUT, I use NONE of their addons, all the addons I use I have coded myself (and there's about 12 of them so far, not counting the odd line or two of spare code). So, I want to feel the warm glow inside that comes from using an addon that you know that you have worked on yourself.

</rant>

smile

i script, therefore i am smirk
theres logic in there somewhere...

Link Copied to Clipboard