Print Thread
#10053 07/02/03 05:57 AM
K
kanchou Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
K
okay. . .i'm doing things that worked on my old download of mirc 4.5 something, but it doesnt work now.

I'm using Proxy from anaolg x to serve an internet connection and its running zonealarm basic as a firewall

when i go to the firewall section of the MIRC connection, i've set the address of the serving proxy computer, but nothing works. . .what else do i need to configure? On old MIRC i just punched in the address of the proxy machine and it poof worked. . .

#10054 09/02/03 06:14 AM
K
kanchou Offline OP
OP Offline
K
okay. . .maybe you need some more detail to help. . .

i goto firewall section on ver6.03

NONE shows this::
* Connecting to mozilla (6667)
-
* Unable to resolve server

so then i pick BOTH, starting with SOCKS 4. . .
and get the same thing

then with socks5::
-
* Firewall: Connection rejected

then proxy::
-
* Firewall: Closed Connection

----whats the next step? help plz?

#10055 09/02/03 08:11 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
-

Mozilla isn't an address that can be resolved to an IP, so you can't connect. Try connecting to a server that exists and you'll have more luck.

Do:
Firewall = None
Type in status window: /server b0rk.uk.quakenet.org 6667
See if it works.

#10056 09/02/03 09:07 AM
K
kanchou Offline OP
OP Offline
K
that doesnt make sense. In the connection i have IRC.MOZILLA.ORG.

thats just what the status window is saying.

i tried the command you gave me with no firewall:
* Connect retry #1 b0rk.uk.quakenet.org (6667)
-

#10057 09/02/03 12:47 PM
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
I have been having these problems with mIRC as well...we have just had a firewall installed for our network at home...and it wont let me connect through the firewall. I have mIRC V. 5.91. I've tried using the /firewall command and putting in the firewall address and it said the exact same thing.. Firewall: Closed Connection. Please help me out..

The voices told me to write this...

ambermorn
#10058 09/02/03 01:20 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Have you tried connecting with file/options/connect/firewall set to NONE ? (if you dont see the word none, use your up/down arrows to get to it)

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#10059 09/02/03 01:23 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Try connecting to the server Collective suggested with /server 213.221.165.248

#10060 09/02/03 01:25 PM
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
I did try that, (i noticed you said that in another post) but it just goes to the next part of mIRC options.

For now though, the firewall option is diabled, until i can get some more advice...and thank you for replying quickly smile

The voices told me to write this...

ambermorn
#10061 09/02/03 10:27 PM
K
kanchou Offline OP
OP Offline
K
i already said i turned it off as suggested by the other guy, and that was the message i got:

#10062 10/02/03 06:33 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Ambermorn:

"just goes to the next part of mIRC options."

hrmm.. sorry, i think i wasnt clear. Or i havent had enuf coffee and im confuzzled. Lets start over. Just because you have a firewall doesnt mean you have to set the firewall options in mIRC, most home firewall users need to leave file/toptions/connect/firewall set to NONE. ( in mIRC, type /help firewall to read about it) NONE doesnt mean your firewall is turned off, it means you arent using one that uses socks4,5 or proxy. For example, i use a zonealarm software firewall, and since it isnt a proxy/socks4/socks5 firewall, i leave the option in mIRC set to NONE and my firewall is still working.

Some OS's arent displaying that part of mIRC's options correctly, and when you have changed the area under FIREWALL SUPPORT, and then click on the little upside down triangle beside it, you only see Server and DCC. In order to get it back to NONE, you need to click on the triangle/arrow and then use your up/down keys.

Within my firewall itself, I to tell it to allow mIRC to begin with, and to allow connections on the server ports i want (most use ports 6660-6669,7000-7001 and need port 113 for identd and also a range of ports to use for dcc if you want to be able to initiate them)

Once you get into proxies/wingate/socks4 or 5 things get a bit more complicated. For one thing, some networks refuse connections from them if they are insecure or dont have identd server. I'm unclear as to whether you are running a proxy as kanchou is or exactly what happens when you try to connect. This web page gives some general info tho.

#10063 10/02/03 07:31 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Kanchou,
it can get confusing when replying to more than one person in a thread, notice that in the top line of a post, it will say
"re:Firewall Issues [re kalanchou]" so ppl know which post the person is replying to. I think your last post to ambermorn was intended for me, except that my post was to ambermorn. confused ok, now i made myself dizzy.

The reason i suggested you try typing /server 213.221.165.248 in your status window, was in case there was some dns resolving problem going on. That is the numeric for what Collective suggested to you, ie /server b0rk.uk.quakenet.org.

Using zonealarm basic, you do NOT need to set the firewall option in mIRC to anything other than NONE. You do however, need to tell ZA what to allow thru. Each time i download a new version of mIRC, ZA is set to ask me if i want to allow it access.

As for why irc.mozilla.org doesnt get you anywhere, i dont have any idea if you need to use their "chatzilla" or if you can use mIRC for your IRC client to connect. ( it just sat there and went nowhere for me when i tried it) Mite try asking on their forum, web page

If you are using a proxy to connect, you would first need to connect to that proxy (which is diff from a "proxy type firewall") I dont know if you mean you are using analogx's portblocker, which isnt ZA, nor is it a full firewall, but i think basically lets you run a server only on a local network and also needs to be set up as to what you will allow. Since the problem could be with the settings for that, try checking on their website. Actually, trying to use two firewalls at the same time would prolly create havoc to begin with, if that is in fact what you are trying to do.

If you havent set things up so that you are allowing mIRC and some server port(s) access thru your firewall, then mIRC wouldnt be able to "go" anywhere to resolve a server.

#10064 11/02/03 02:32 AM
K
kanchou Offline OP
OP Offline
K
sorry, i've been getting alot of 'you need to do this, moron' answers by people not taking the time to read through, and they weren't being friendly about it either. aheh.

anyways, i'm using Analog X's, software called Proxy, because it was simple to share the internet connection from the one machine. (i dunno what port blocker is. . )um. . .the common theme here is that i havent used any of the newest versions of the softwaare i'm speaking about.

Old versions of MIRC, and Zone alarm were being used, and i just rebuilt the machine so i have new versions i'm not too familiar with the new features.

so computer A is the one running ZA, and Proxy. and i want computer B to run mirc.

what do i need to tell zone alarm? i know how to do it if i was using MIRC on computer A, but i'm trying to use it on computer B.

oh and when i used your command::

* Connect retry #1 213.221.165.248 (6667)
-
* Unable to connect (No Route to Host)

#10065 11/02/03 05:25 AM
B
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
B
on computer b, did you have set computer A lan ip as the default gateway in your network properties ? does the dns options ok too ? also, to start, don't run ZA on computear A untill computer B is working.

You don't need any firewall setting in mirc if your proxy is a transparent proxy (meaning if you don't have set proxy setting in your web browser on computer B and can get webpage, it is probably set as tranpasrent proxy).
Another thing is that mirc use the CONNECT method with web proxy when it connects to a server and the proxy MUST accept this method.
It is also possible that you need to set rules in the proxy to allow coimputerB to use it and/or to connect to irc.

#10066 11/02/03 05:56 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
ok, never mind about portblocker, thats different software.

i'm pretty much in over my head with this, but until i can kidnap someone with sense to come answer you, i'll give it a try. The "no route to host" error is usually saying as far as windows is convinced, you arent properly connected to the internet and it has no clue how/where the irc server is hiding.
(maybe puterB isnt communicating properly with puterA ? altho who is to blame for the lack of communication is a tossup)

Im not at all familiar with analogx proxy, but according to the web page you are supposed to configure machine b to use a proxy... they say there are detailed instructions for that in their readme and that it supports socks4 and partial socks5.

ZA needs to be told you are allowing mIRC, and the server ports, access as i mentioned earlier. You would also need to input the proxy server IP address into your trusted Local zone. see this web page

Whether the prob is za blocking puterB and/or A, or puterB not being set up to suit analog, or a combination thereof, i dont know, nor am i sure how mIRC's firewall options should be set in this case confused

I would say start with tweaking ZA as above, and reading the readme info that comes with analogx to be sure you have puterB configured correctly.

Which versions of za and analogx proxy do you have?

/me wanders off to read up on analogx thingie and hopes someone else can help in the meantime. i'm afraid i havent been of much help to you, but i didnt want you to think i was ignoring your response. i'll try to research it or find someone who is familiar with analog for you

#10067 11/02/03 06:00 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
/me purrs at BB and showers him with cookies shocked

#10068 13/02/03 12:56 AM
K
kanchou Offline OP
OP Offline
K
hmm
i didnt quite understand some of that..

i set the default gateway on B to point at A, but it did not affect mirc.

and i can't get web pages unless i set proxy addresses in IE pref or Mozilla

#10069 13/02/03 07:54 PM
B
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
B
you can try tell mirc to use this proxy to connect.
alt+o,connect,firewall, choose :
firewall support :server
protocol : proxy
hostname : ip of the proxy
userid, password : leave empty if your proxy don't request a username/passowrd to use it
port : enter your proxy port

some servers won't allow you to connect if they detect you're using a proxy or if there is any problem with ident protocol due to the proxy

Link Copied to Clipboard