Quote:

(1) but doesn't that mean that I have to read 3Megs or more later into a window and save from there?
(2) How about the RAM
(3) system performance of my system then

(1) yep thats what your doing,
(2) 3megs well be needed (come on who hasnt got 3 megs of ram lying around the garden shed)
(3) performance wise, its a toss up, maybe better maybe worse depends where the files your accessing are

A normal "write -i" reads the file in and line by line remakes it in a temp file adding the inserted line at the right time, then carrying on tell the end of the file, it then deletes the original file, and either renames the temp file or copies it to the original filename (if its not on the same drive as the mircdir which is where the temp file is made)

So just from that if the file your writting to is no another drive your doing double the disk reads & writes already.

personally i like the hiden window buffer, becuase i dont always close it after doing an update, I keep it there with essentially an in mircwindow copy of the file, i do the iline dline etc etc and just keep sending the file to disk with a filter command, then your never rereading the file from disk. of course thats only practical if your writting all the scripts.

LOL IM BACK!

Bummer : Just did a test on something to do with what i said to make sure, and decided to do a dos "TYPE TESTFILE.TXT" anyone ever heard the PC beep 200,000 times frown , i couldnt get the dos window to respond, couldnt close it, couldnt reset the pc due to other things running i needed to let finish, cracked the top in the end and pulled the speaker cable out!