Since when did instant messengers become 'competition' for IRC?

Since the day the first messenger programme was released was probably the day competition between the two protocols began. Just incase you didn't realise, at least one messenger service that I know of (ICQ) and then possibly the other three allow you to create chatrooms where you can allow those you want in and everyone else remains out. And if it doesn't these days it certainly used to because I had it on my machine until the tales went around about how insecure it was. Messenger services are also only offered by what could be regarded as some of the world's major online communities.

Still think there is no competition between IRC and messengers?

Well the thing is, word has already been mentioned in several places, not just the sites that have been quoted in this thread about how some in the younger generation get on IRC to behave like ratbags and generally spoil IRC time for others. You make mention of selectivity on messengers and this is one of its most important features. IE: If you don't want to communicate with a particular person then you can stop it happening. If you are on an unhosted IRC channel and it just happens to be where your mates chat though also where a few morons chat then while you can silence them, you still can't get their names of the screen. I know this aspect is trivial but visual reminders of morons does get to some people.

Still not convinced?

Well you raised the subject of Micro$oft's referral to paedophiles on IRC. Microsoft's biggest problem is that their service, from day one was so poorly staffed that they didn't have a ghost of a chance to get on top of the problem. I have k:lined and reported a few rock spiders on the network I use. The issue no-where near as bad as Micro$honk says and that is a fact, though it does exist. The difference is that while Micro$oft left their networks run to rack and ruin, we, and certainly other networks do not. Result: The well staffed networks survive and Micro$oft didn't and they had two attempts to get it right and failed both times. Micro$oft used the paedophile yarn to get more peeps off IRC and onto messengers, particularly their own and whoever cannot see that is blind. The proof is in the fact that they all but demanded other networks to follow their 'lead' and close.

Well I say that Micro$oft is wrong and they are putting the fear of God into people about IRC only for some kind of commercial gain. For whatever reason it seems to be working regardless of at what speed.

It is still faltering to messengers though.