Hi everyone,
I'm trying to connect to an Ergo IRC server that requires SASL PLAIN authentication before registration.
Environment
mIRC 7.84
TLS connection on port 6697
Login Method set to SASL (/CAP)
The raw debug output only shows:
-> CAP LS 302
-> NICK ...
-> USER ...
It never sends:
CAP REQ :sasl
AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
As a result, the server rejects the connection because SASL authentication never takes place.
Things I've verified
TLS handshake succeeds (TLS 1.3).
DNS and connectivity are working correctly.
The same account and password authenticate successfully using:
the server's web IRC client
Goguma (mobile IRC client)
The server administrator confirmed the server is using standard Ergo SASL PLAIN authentication.
I also tested placing the password in the upper "Password" field with Login Method set to None. In that case, mIRC sends:
PASS <password>
NICK ...
USER ...
which appears to be expected behavior for the IRC PASS command.
Question
Is there any known reason why mIRC 7.84 would not send CAP REQ :sasl after CAP LS when Login Method is set to SASL (/CAP)?
Is there another setting that enables SASL negotiation, or is this a known issue?