Originally Posted by Khaled
% is a valid variable name all by itself
Interesting... This fact feels vaguely familiar to me somehow, as though I might've known that at one point in time, but I'm not sure I would've remembered or thought of it had you not mentioned it. 🤔

Was this purposely built in or simply a side effect of the way you implemented variables into the language? In any case, I'm noticing that variables named % seem to have a few unique quirks to them - namely, that:
  1. A script can have multiple independent local variables with that name:
    Code
    //var -s % 0123 , % 4567 , % 89AB , % CDEF | echo -ga $var( % , 0 )
    Code
    * Set % to 0123
    -
    * Set % to 4567
    -
    * Set % to 89AB
    -
    * Set % to CDEF
    -
  2. The = assignment operator cannot be used to assign values to nor create them:
    Code
    alias nullvar_test { 
      % = hello
    }
    Code
    /nullvar_test
    Code
    * /%: not connected to server (...)
    -
  3. The optional = of the /var command will be treated as part of the value rather than as part of the command's syntax; mathematical expressions will, of course, not be calculated in such cases:
    Code
    //var -s % 2 ^ 3 , % = 2 ^ 3
    Code
    * Set % to 8
    -
    * Set % to = 2 ^ 3
    -
  4. Retrieving values stored in them requires explicit use of $var( % , N ).value: (Presumably to avoid conflict with the modulus operator in certain contexts?)
    Code
    //var -s % hello | echo -ga % | echo -ga $var( % , 1 ).value
    Code
    * Set % to hello
    -
    %
    hello
  5. Commands like /inc, /dec, and /unset will only modify a global version:
    Code
    //var -s % 5 | dec -s % | set -s % 99 | inc -s % | unset -s % | echo -ga $var( % , 1 ).value
    Code
    * Set % to 5
    -
    * Dec % to -1
    -
    * Set % to 99
    -
    * Inc % to 100
    -
    * Unset %
    -

Whether or not any of these are bugs and warrant their own reports, I'm not sure... but, I figured it'd at least be worth mentioning them here so that anyone who happens upon this post and wants to try using null-named variables will be aware of their pitfalls and limitations.

(Tested on both v7.71 and beta v7.71.1275.)