Sure, but even in custom windows with -t tabstop, you have -M to chop at tabstop, which probably is the most wanted behavior in 2021, so as far as displaying ability is concerned that should be available for display in channel windows etc if tab are meant to be displayed. But I'd like to be able to get a tab displayed which does not alter the behavior of the rest of the display, $+(ZZZZZZZZZZ,$chr(9),ZZZZZZZZZZ) would display "ZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZ", not "ZZZZZZZZZZZZ".
In fact, as with most new features or change, it should probably keep the old behavior and command should get new switch addition, but I understand that's a lot of function, with some functions already have a lot of switch (/filter, /play, /echo..) where finding a letter that's not used in any wouldn't be fun, but using non letter as a switch is not new.
Having tabs getting displayed rather than not displayed whatsoever, I'm all for it, but the current behavior is too much of a change, extending tab to be displayed doesn't mean tabstop, /drawtext was enhanced that way and doesn't deal with any tabstop stuff, I'd like to get the drawtext behavior in channel window.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel