I'm bored; so here's what I've been thinking and pondering about over the past few days: decentralized networks like Gnutella. I already know its possible to create a socket barrier between mIRC and a server, I used to do it to send some rather false information (Sure, yea, yea, I am a JAVA applet, trussssssssssssttttt me).

I'm wokring out a way to do one in PHP (the nature of HTTP is a bitch to deal with, if the client is just IExplorer), and I'm considering doing one in mIRC JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT.

The idea:
You connect to 127.0.0.1 (its protected with an $md5 hash password, chosen randomly, so that your mIRC knows it but no other clients know it (unless you want them to)).
From there, you connect to a mIRC client thats about 24/7, or find an ip from a common channel or some other convenient method of finding out where the network is hiding.
When you connect, your connected to maybe 2 or 3 other mIRCs. The aim of the script is to get a message from Computer A to Computer Z with no direct connection.

Its all very much like the way in guts of the internet works, actually. But, here's my twist bit:
If you read my post about giving something back to khaled, you know I like my ALife.

mIRClets - plain text files of mIRC script commands, akin to what MTS has - aliases of aliases. They do stuff, they wander, they flitter, and probably make a pretty pattern. I'm not sure because I haven't invented them fully yet. Randomly generated to start with, and they breed, etc etc.

What if we used this as a basenetwork for trading "mirclets" or something similar. The smaller and faster a mirclet can transfer, the more dominance it can have. Bigger mirclets can MAP their way around a network, taking more direct routes, meaning they get their faster and can deal with other mIRClets.

If you whacked in messages inside of them, you could develop AN ORGANICALLY GROWN instant messenger (less than instant, maybe).

Am I just a dreamer, or should I get off my butt and do this.
Any suggestions as to how I should implement it, or what the mIRClets/boids/whatever should ACTUALLY DO would be appreciated.