Is this -4 / -6 stickiness persistent across restarts of mIRC? (I don't think it was in my tests, but I would like to have it confirmed.)

Also, it would be useful to have a list of where the stickiness comes from (the IRC connection), when it applies (when the IRC connection is closed and before/as a new connection is made? Only in the same connection window or across connection windows?) and what things it applies to if you don't explicitly code -4 or -6 (/sockopen, /dns, anything else?)...

In the end, I guess I can live with the way mIRC chooses to make IRC connections - and I guess that providing:

a. /dns -46 works the same regardless of whether your IRC connection is v4 or v6 - which it seems to; and
b. sockopen -46 works consistently to connect regardless of whether your IRC connection is v6 or v4 (I still need to test this); and
c. DCC works between IRC users connected with IPv6 and IPv4 (and I assume it does even if not documented anywhere because otherwise file sharing channels would not work a lot of the time)

then I guess we can live with this because you can always explicitly code -46 to make /dns and /sockopen work consistently regardless of whether you connect with v6 or v4, providing that the documentation for /server, /dns, /sockopen and /DCC clearly explains the limitations if you don't specify -46.

Of course, this does break backwards compatibility for scripts written before v6 support which will no longer work for users who connect with v6 without explicitly coding -46. And whilst I can see that you might want to prioritise v6 connections to other addresses if you are connected to IRC over v6 (or if you have set v6 to have priority in mIRC options), I really cannot see why you would want to prevent potential connections over the other version if both ends have the connectivity. But it is what it is, I guess.

Bottom line is that we probably need slightly better help file documentation highlighting what happens if you don't specifying -46 and much better documentation elsewhere about what happens for::

1. IRC connections
2. /sockopen
3. /dns
3. /dcc (for both not-passive and passive)

when:
a. your system has just v4, just v6 or both connectivity to the internet;
b. the system you are trying to connect to has just v4, just v6 or both connectivity to the internet;
c. when your IRC connection is v4 or v6;
d. when mIRC options has IPv6 not set or set as priority;
e. you specify -4, -6, -46 or none of these for the connection (inc. for the latter the stickiness described above).

This is a lot of dimensions and so a lot of combinations, far too complex to be in the mIRC help file - on Wikichip perhaps??

Last edited by Protopia; 19/12/19 09:13 PM.