The CBC 'salt' should be a 64-bit binary value regardless of contents, but instead is sometimes truncated to a shorter string when $encode removes any 0x00 byte and anything following it. I also found this in v7.55 no-beta and v7.36, so it's not related to the recent fixes.

This results in 1 of every 256 random 8-byte salt strings handled by being truncated to $null due to the first byte randomly being 0x00. There are additional identical truncated salts where the first occurrence of the 0x00 is at a different byte position, increasing the frequency of these dupes. The test vector I linked above produces the correct outcome only when that salt of all zeroes is handled as eight 0x00 bytes instead of appending $null to the password.

Bytes 9-16 within the mime string contains the 8 byte salt, so this portion of the string is almost always unique when containing a random salt string. However the encrypted data is often identical because the salted key and IV are created using matching truncated salts. This next example almost always finds somewhere between 100-130 messages using a truncated salt that's previously used in this same group of messages.

Note: this alias takes approx 3 minutes, and the display total does not include salts which were truncated without being duplicated. If they were included, the total would have been closer to 800.

Code:
//var %i 25600 , %count 0 | hfree -w salt | while (%i) { var %a $mid($encode(abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz,mc,key),23) | if ($hfind(salt,%a)) { inc %count | echo -a i: %i match# %count : $v1 } | else hadd -m salt %a | dec %i }