I've just been hit by (yet another) occurance of an error message in my status window that I find most unhelpful in a number of cases, it's the
* No such identifier: $FormatString
or whatever variable the issue is with.

If you only have 1 or 2 occurances, or you have only made one change then it's usually simple to track down.

Unfortunately with the reported one above, there are around 80 calls coded to that identifier (an alias) throughout a largish script, and yes it does exist and work elsewhere within the code. In fact the most recent changes were all made by copying existing working lines and amending a message at the end of the line - used to output timing information to a custom window.

I did track down roughly where the error occured; between a user mode change and my password being accepted by Nickserv, but both of those sections appear to be using the alias correctly - even with my glasses on. The only thing between them is a diagnostic timing output reporting that we are processing 'On Connect' - it doesn't do anything there unless it is a ghosted connection, and it wasn't in this case.

The reported issue is probably something like a control code being slipt into the string, but I cant, at this time, find it.

Would it be possible to append the offending line number to that type of message, as is already done for other errors ?

For reference, this identifier/alias is called by
Code:
$FormatString($calc($ticks - %Tocks),8).Left

to display the time in (approx) milliseconds with left padding (right justify) the 'precise' moment an event occured. [%Tocks is captured at raw 001 and everything else is relative to that] The '8' is the 'field' length to use.

Another message that would speed things up is the 'unknown command' one. That isn't so bad since it is usually a mistyped command and can simply be searched for, but it would be quicker with the line number.

Last edited by Erasimus; 04/04/19 02:05 AM.