Microsoft recommends that you decrease the stack size from 1MB if you can and that "It is best to choose as small a stack size as possible and commit the stack that is needed for the thread or fiber to run reliably. Every page that is reserved for the stack cannot be used for any other purpose."

On my Windows 7, there are currently 74 processes, and many threads (each of which require their own stack space), running in the background. If they all set a reserved stack space of 32MB, that would require at least 2.4G of reserved stack space. As I have no idea what the side-effects are of reserved stack space on system and/or application performance, I would rather take the more conservative option.

Even though I do not plan to increase the stack space, I did some more testing and noticed that with a stack size of 32MB the first time I called the recursive alias, it took about four seconds to complete. The second time, and every time afterwards, it took ten seconds to complete. This raises a red flag for me. Without knowing more about stack size and its potential side-effects on applications and Windows in general, I am very wary of changing it.

Apart from the above, increasing stack space, which will affect all mIRC users, possibly negatively, just to increase the recursion limit to an arbitrary and still limited value that will only be useful in a small number of cases, and is both more speed and memory intensive than an iterative solution, does not seem reasonable.