As Raccoon pointed out, the default accept/ignore list in mIRC has been the same for a very long time.

I mentioned in my previous post that I looked through a large number of lists on websites and in applications (security, email, and so on) to try to get an idea of the types of files that are commonly blocked nowadays. I ended up with a combined list of 160+ file types that are (or were at some point in time) considered potentially dangerous. Unfortunately, many of the lists I came across seemed to be old, were put together arbitrarily, and varied greatly. So I was a little reticent to update the lists in mIRC without a clear idea of what should be in them.

I eventually came across the blocked attachments list of Outlook 2013, which includes around 90 file types. This is a reasonably up-to-date, Windows-specific list. So I have decided to use it (with a few additions) as the new "ignore list", which will be:

*.ade,*.adp,*.app,*.asp,*.bas,*.bat,*.cer,*.chm,*.cmd,*.com,*.cpl,*.crl,*.crt,*.csh,*.der,*.dll,*.exe,
*.fxp,*.gadget,*.hlp,*.hta,*.htm,*.html,*.inf,*.ini,*.ins,*.isp,*.its,*.js,*.jse,*.ksh,*.lib,*.lnk,*.mad,
*.maf,*.mag,*.mam,*.maq,*.mar,*.mas,*.mat,*.mau,*.mav,*.maw,*.mda,*.mdb,*.mde,*.mdt,*.mdw,
*.mdz,*.mht,*.mhtm,*.mhtml,*.mrc,*.msc,*.msh,*.msh1,*.msh1xml,*.msh2,*.msh2xml,*.mshxml,
*.msi,*.msp,*.mst,*.ocx,*.ops,*.pcd,*.pif,*.plg,*.prf,*.prg,*.ps1,*.ps1xml,*.ps2,*.ps2xml,*.psc1,
*.psc2,*.pst,*.reg,*.scf,*.scr,*.sct,*.shb,*.shs,*.sys,*.tmp,*.url,*.vb,*.vbe,*.vbs,*.vsmacros,*.vsw,
*.vxd,*.website,*.ws,*.wsc,*.wsf,*.wsh,*.xnk

I will also be updating the "accept list" (based to some degree on this list) to these:

*.7z,*.avi,*.bmp,*.divx,*.gif,*.gz,*.ico,*.iso,*.jpeg,*.jpg,*.log,*.mid,*.mp3,*.mp4,*.mpeg,*.mpg,
*.ogg,*.png,*.rar,*.tar,*.tgz,*.txt,*.wav,*.wma,*.wmv,*.zip

The above list includes common media and compressed file types but excludes a large number of popular file types (doc, xls, pdf, swf, mov, etc.) that are more often the target of exploits.

These will be in the next version of mIRC for new installations. For users who upgrade, the next version will check to see if a user's "ignore list" is using the default old "ignore list" and if it is, it will be updated to the new "ignore list". The "accept list" will not be updated.

I have also added a "Reset" button to the DCC Ignore dialog that will pop up a confirmation dialog asking the user if they want to reset their "accept list" or "ignore list" to a default set of file types.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments on this change, please post them here.