Not sure what's with the weird posts on here lately, but I'll reply anyhow. If you read what I said, the recommendation is so that when you use scripts that you have not written, they will work. You don't have to fix scripts others have written. And for the large number of users out there who have no idea HOW to fix the scripts, it's good advice. Avoid the problem to begin with. Nowhere did I suggest that script writers shouldn't take into account spaces. So before you start ranting, make sure you know what you're ranting about.

Now, in case that isn't clear enough for some people... If you write a script, make it work regardless of the path. If you don't write scripts and don't know how to script and you plan to use other people's scripts, you can avoid potential problems with spaces in the path by not installing to a path with spaces.

As far as not using %appdata%, there's nothing wrong with that when you're on a single user system. The main benefit of the %appdata% option is for multi-user systems. For a single user, there is no real benefit. In addition, it's far easier if you want to have multiple installs of different versions of mIRC with different scripts for testing or other purposes. You don't have to try and maintain multiple shortcuts and keep them pointing to the right settings. You can keep everything in individual places (*not* documents and no one suggested that) and it makes it easier to edit and change things without hopping all over the place. In addition, you can quite easily ZIP the folder and get all files and settings for backup without having to deal with multiple locations. So, yes, I do use that method and I give people the option to make their own choice. Both methods are valid options depending on how you use mIRC. By only telling people one option, you aren't giving them potentially useful information. Not only that, but in a multi-user system where you might want the same settings/scripts for everyone, you either have to duplicate everything or you can simply avoid %appdata%.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net