Since your /fopen script is large and possibly has something else causing the issue, I set up a short script to show what $$ does and ran it in both 7.17 and 6.35. The results are the same:

Code:
alias t1 {
  echo -a 1
  t2 $1-
  echo -a 3
}

alias t2 {
  echo -a 2
  echo -a $$1-
}

If you use /t1 test with both versions, you get:
Quote:

test

That shows that it runs through all of the way because there is a $1. However, if you use /t1 in both versions, it only shows:
Quote:

This shows that it halted both aliases because of no $1 when using $$. If it was RETURN instead of HALT, then you'd see:
Quote:

... where only the $$ line would be skipped. I can change those aliases around so that /t2 will RETURN $$1- and the result is the same, or so that /t2 is called as $$t2($1-) with no $$ being in /t2 at all and the result is also the same.

As a comparison, here's how it would work if it doesn't HALT:

Code:
alias t1 {
  echo -a 1
  echo -a : $t2($1-)
  echo -a 3
}

alias t2 {
  if ($1) { return $1- }
}

Results for /t1:
Quote:

:

(: is used so it doesn't throw an error about echoing a null value). As you see, with RETURN, it will continue processing even if there isn't a $1. If we change that to HALT, it works like $$ does-
Code:
alias t1 {
  echo -a 1
  echo -a 1- $t2($1-)
  echo -a 3
}

alias t2 {
  if (!$1) { halt }
  return $1-
}

Results for /t1:
Quote:

As you can see from these examples, $$ does HALT the script and associated aliases instead of using RETURN. Most likely, it's something else in the script that reacts differently between versions that is giving you the problem. $$ has acted as a HALT for as long as I can remember... I don't feel like pulling out even older versions to find out when or if it was ever different. Since your last screenshot shows a difference and you used 6.35 and 7.17, my test with those two versions that shows $$ working the same between versions should be enough to show that it's something else in your script that is working differently. However, if you or someone else wants to do the same kind of test in 6.2 or older, feel free.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net