Quote:
This issue has already been raised, discussed, and commented on by Khaled. A duplicate report won't change much; Khaled is aware of the compatibility issues. Also note that the comments in that thread are relevant to what your options are. There will be ways to support your legacy encodings "soon".

Where? Linkify me please? Wasn't able to find it.
UPD: nvm, found it.

Quote:
Perhaps you should consider switching the encoding on the server end to UTF-8. You claim it's not "properly implemented", but I don't know of any specific issues.

80% of IRC-servers (networks) I do use has no support for UTF-8, other 20% has experimental support and those servers/networks aren't so important for me.
I hope now you can see the size of issue :<

Quote:
As far as "many conditions make migration impossible"-- if your definition of "migration" is continuing to use CP1251, well, we have different definitions of "migration".

I was talking about old mIRC -> new mIRC migration.

Quote:
The only real migration, if what you said about server-side UTF-8 is true, is to get your servers in Russia to properly support Unicode.

We're talking not only about the russian part of IRC world. How many (in %) other national servers support UTF-8? Greek, Italian, German, etc? Btw, UTF-8 support was initially (firstly) implemented in russian edition of well-known IRCds because of obvious reasons. Popularized by UnrealIRCD bynets edition.

Quote:
Until that happens, "migration is impossible"-- but mIRC is not the one holding you back.

Huh? I never said mIRC holding something back. Perhaps there is some kind of misunderstanding? See my reply about migration above.

Quote:
And, IMHO, it's been almost 14 years since Unicode was standardized; it's been by and large the standard on the web for the last ~6. There's really no reason for mIRC to wait any longer for those servers to get their act together.

It is much easier to add backward-compatibility into most popular IRC-client instead of asking network administration of every IRC-network to implement UTF-8 support and wait 'till it will be done.
Don't you agree? >_>

Last edited by Lusht; 05/06/10 09:59 PM.

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')