Originally Posted By: Khaled
I am happy to allow write access to the NUL device for specific features, such as /filter and /fopen. Alternatively, I can remove device name access completely, which is what I would prefer.

It seems to me that there aren't really that many ways that nul is currently being used legitimately. It's really just being used to allow a script to use the secondary actions of a particular command without using the primary actions.

For example, /filter's primary purpose is to output a filtered list, but it happens that the $filtered identifier is a convenient way to count the number of lines that contain certain text. This can be done without using /filter, but it's not as convenient.

Would it be possible to just add a switch to /filter and /debug that allows there to be no output source?

Many people may not remember the bug where "/con/con" would make mIRC crash. It may not be an issue now, but at the same time, it seems to me that it should be completely unnecessary if a few switches are added to a couple commands to provide similar behavior.