Originally Posted By: argv0
Because that text includes the exact same character combination as what you just posted above, but using the Cryllic ANSI codepage instead of Western. I don't know Russian or any Cryllic languages, but I'll bet that combination is far more likely to them, and that's just one of many other codepages.

I really get your point, nevertheless i get more and more requests why someone can't read german "umlauts" / mutated vowels.
The problem is, ä ö & ü are encoded as UTF-8 when you use the "display and decode" option of the fonts dialog.
If you have a theme with ASCII chars > 127 you'll receive a corrupted message.

Where is the problem to implement an option like Pivo suggested? It would help many german and english users, who'll never chat with people using cyrillic etc. codepage. I really would recommend it. It would help so many mIRC users out there (not only but at least all german) to write and read what they want to.
You could give me the advice to help them out with the way Pivo told about (checking $isutf and $utfencode the timestamp/theme) but most of them are overstrained with sth like that and it would be the easy way to simply enable an option.

oh btw.. sorry for my assumedly bumpy english, i just tried to phrase what i think in a way everybody can understand wink
thanks

I took a test in Existentialism. I left all the answers blank and got 100.