Originally Posted By: argv0
My apologies. I wasn't aware that it was possible to "archive" something without copying it. Silly me.

Excuse my rough post, I also meant to include this quote
Quote:
I, for example, may not want my work written in anything published by the OP.

I was meaning copied out of the original context, as in quoting part, and not all of the resource.

Quote:

However, the fact that the internet archive copies.. oh sorry.. "archives" data from websites without their permission does not automatically make the act ethical or legal.

I'm going to ignore this because ethics is a POV, and I consider it ethical, after all once work is published, it's out there.
Quote:

Quote:
Unfortunately the internet doesn't work like that.

The ability to look at google cache or the wayback machine for an old version of a website does not define "how the internet works". People may be able to look at history of pages, but the author may still wish that their most recent version is held front and center as the first source, not the second. I'm sure you wouldn't be to keen on having google's result for your homepage be the version from the wayback machine 3 years ago...

I have nothing against it, other than a occasional slip, I never publish anything that I wouldn't want viewed. And I'm afraid they do define how the internet is works, I really don't see how it doesn't, after all they're part/resources of/on the internet.

Quote:

This would mean linking to the author's direct source first and only providing an archive upon request if the original source is no longer available. This would be done out of respect for the author's wishes, and the term "respect" sounds a heck of a lot more ethically correct than "I 'archive' what I want!". Fortunately, the internet that I use does not act this way, and I still see references 99.9% of the time, not direct copi..er "archives".

I'll maintain that I think that all archives should link to the original source(with time and date of creation), however as you will no doubt agree with, a change may not suit the helpfile, therefore causing problems.

I will gladly continue this conversation with you, but I'd prefer to do it elsewhere(IRC ,PM , a new topic) as I don't think this is very respectful to the OP, I wouldn't want this in my topic.